Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Printing to desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.

necsi

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2000
US
I would like a simple way to print from an IBM RS/6000 Rel. 4.3.3 to desktop machines on the network. These include Win-98, Win-NT 4.0 Workstation and Win-NT Server.

I have tried 'smit printers', using remote host and other.
Thanks

You'l need a client on the desktop side, the unix print service is built into NT (maybe need to be installed seperately), or you can use Exceed 95 which have support for UNIX printing.

The IP of the remote host cannot change, the printer name on the remote host have to be used on AIX exactly as on the remote host (so change it to a short word, in lower case).
All printers can have the same name on remote host, but need to be different on AIX side.

If this is not clear let me know.

Hope it helps

Are you looking to do lpd/lpr on the pcs with a printer attached or merely ...take control of the pc while the job prints on its printer? which is passthru printing...

There is also samba which can be found on the Bull site ..

You said you tried lpd/lpr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back