Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network printing controlled by server

Status
Not open for further replies.

caitsdeo

Programmer
May 25, 1999
US
I have a domain of about 50 NT workstations, a PDC and one BDC. The BDC is the print server for the domain. The users get NFS mounting and printer setups from the BDC using kixtart login script. One of the workstations gets the NFS mounts but an error message says the server is not available when the script tries to setup the printers. From the PDC the workstation does not show up in the list of systems on the domain but there are drives on the BDC that are mapped to the workstation. Anyone got any clues as to why I can't get printers setup on this one workstation?

I should have mentioned that I am using TCP/IP on Windows NT 4.0 sp 3.

Is this limited to one particular user logging into that workstation or does it affect anyone logging into the workstation? If you cannot see the workstation from the PDC (when you say cannot see it, do you mean via Network Neighborhood or Server Manager?) Since you cannot see the Workstation I would remove the workstation from the Domain and then rejoin the Domain. Also can you manually setup the printer (ie through the Add Printer Wizard??)<br>
<br>
Hope this helps a little...<br>
Paul

The problem was limitted to the workstation not the user. I removed the workstation from the domain, rebooted, put it back into the domain and rebooted again. The printing setup works after this. Thank you.<br>
<br>
I did look in the Network Neighborhood on the PDC and the workstation is still not listed there. It is listed under server manager however. Why would this be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back