Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Printer with IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

idg1530

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2005
PR
Hi.

I'm new user in Sco Unix Release 5. I need add 5 printer to my
network, manage by unix server.
The ip range to printer wil be 10.0.0.50 to 10.0.0.55
How i create the printer name in the server?

Thank..

If HP JetDirect printers:
scoadmin -> *> Printers -> * HP Network Print Services Manager -> i

Otherwise if the print server supports LPR/LPD protocol:
scoadmin -> *> Printers -> * Printer Mager -> Printer -> Add remote -> Unix

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

You can also try a 3rd party software called RPM which runs on a windows machine. The software causes SCO to print to any printer configured on the windows machine. Using the remote printer setup in scoadmin-printers-printer manager and the IP address of the windows machine. I have 15 printers setup on my XP machine and can print to all of them from SCO.

blabelle, no need of 3rd party software for LPR/LPD service in window XP.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Those are probably two of the most used methods, but certainly not the ONLY two. Most print-server devices support some form of LPR/LPD, so that's normally a good option. Others that come to mind:

Intel Netport devices used "proprint" on TCP port 2501, 3001, 3002.
VisionFS (Samba clone) uses "visionfs print" to hit printers shared on Windows PC's.
ICETCP (James River) has their own server process running on a PC which monitors a shared UNIX directory.
TinyTERM (Century Software) has something similar.
Unix to Unix can use "rcmd".

I used to know how to hit Novell print queues from SCO, but that's a memory best left behind.

I don't think one person could possibly list all the different methods of network printing.

I recently installed a 2 port Netgear print server at a remote location. I am having no problems printing but now when I run lpstat -t on the local 5.0.7 box, the command hangs after reporting the status of the 2 LPD servers. Is there a patch or knowledge base that addresses this problem? So far I haven't found anything.

Thanks,

Mike Ray

Here's a direct copy/paste from SCO Tech Article #125677:

You need to decrease the value of the TCP/IP parameter 'tcp_initial_timeout', defined as :
Sets the TCP/IP retransmit time for an initial SYN segment. The default value is 180 seconds as defined by RFC 1122. The minimum and maximum configurable values are 1 and 7200 seconds.

Setting this to a lower value (say 10 seconds) will cause the timeout to occur in a reasonable time, and will give the status of the other printers. To change this parameter, execute the following command (a re-boot is not required) :

inconfig tcp_initial_timeout 10

You should now get output from lpstat similar to the
following :

# lpstat -o
adminpr1:
192.168.245.112: Connection timed out
connection to 192.168.245.231 is down
salespr1:
JetDirect lpd: no jobs queued on this port

Motoslide -

No joy. I entered the command and confirmed the change in etc/default/init but lpstat -t still hangs after reporting that queing is enabled on the remotes.

Thanks.

Motoslide -

Sorry. I meant /etc/default/inet. Typo.

Well...

After an exhaustive search on every forum I could find, I decided to go back to the basics.

In reviewing the printcap file, I noticed that the entry for the second remote printer (the one that kept hanging lpstat) had the 'ex' flag set. Apparently Netgear doesn't support extended rlp. Duh!

So often it's the little things.

At least these posts may help out the next knucklehead.

Thanks motoslide.

Actually, thank YOU. It's often quite helpful when the solution is posted. Even if you solve it yourself. Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back