Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network printer vs shared USB printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2004
US
our network printer is on its way out and the boss wants a cheaper alternative than the suggested hp replacement. what are some advantages and disadvantages of having a shared USB printer compared to a printer on the network?

thanks

I would always opt for a network printer. With a USB printer, the PC it's attached to must be turned on in order for someone to print to it. I'm a LAN admin, and even at home I have a networked HP4200 that is available to all of my PC's. Of course you could buy an inexpensive print server as opposed to the HP JetDirect card, but you can't beat the JetDirect card for its web-based interface and reliability. If you buy an HP printer with the card installed, it's a few hundred dollars more than the base model. I bought my JetDirect card on eBay for about $100 (it was pulled from a working unit).

a big part of the problem is the need to print on 11 x 17 paper. so we need a printer that can handle that and be on the network. the hp website suggests a replacement thats costs over $2,200. i could get a lexmark without a network card for $1,200. so if the only drawback to not having the printer on the network is i need to keep the pc its running, thats fine.

Also remember that the PC that the printer will be connected to will feel the drag associated with printing so if its also someones workstation they are not going to like it.

pc.gif

Jomama

You don't have to get a netowrk printer. You can Network, most printers using a HP Jetdirect box.

The HP box connect to the printer (either USB or Parallel) the you network the J/D box. Much cheaper option..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

In Subcarrier's last post, he stated that he has a need to print at 11" x 17", that's the problem.

Another thought. Did out an old pc (if you have one) and set it up as a print server.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back