Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network printer setup in SBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenaz

Technical User
Apr 2, 2003
US
We have an HP laserjet desktop printer with USB plug. It's new today and I have tried plugging it into a Linksys print server on our Windows SBS network. What do I do to get it so we can see it on the network to set it up so all the client computers will be able to use it? Or is it even possible, or a good idea?

It doesn't show up on the domain. It's not close enough to the server to plug into it, and SBS is not one of the supported OSs.

Or just point me to a source of information.

Thanks,

Jim Allen

Windows 2003 needs to be the supported OS, not SBS. Once it's set up on the LinkSys print server, follow the LinkSys instructions for connecting to it from your server. Once you've set up the printer on your server, share it out, and your workstations will be able to print to it through the server.

Alternately, you could follow the LinkSys print server instructions to set up the printer on all the workstations. I believe that the LinkSys will have it's own hostname, so that when you browse your network, you will be able to check shares that exist on the LinkSys and access the printer that way.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

I don't think Windows2003 is a supported OS either for the printer. But if we could see it on the network I don't think it would matter. I have the IP address from DHCP on the server. But I don't see the print server, or printer on the network from Explorer.

Also tried pushing the reset button which is supposed to print a test page and that's not working. So I have other issues to deal with too.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried pinging it today and no response. It timed out. It might be time to just share it from one of the clients. We won't be using it that much.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back