Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Printer Setup Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I need some advice on setting up Network printers please.

HP1200 Printer conected to Netgear printserver configured/installed/shared on the server.

If printer is installed manually by a user it works perfectly

How do i configure the client 2000 PC so that any user who sits at that PC gets this network printer. If the printer is locally attached all users to that PC get it, If its a network printer nobody gets it unless its configured manually to each user. I have 800 users who all move around different roams, they dont "own" any printers the PCs "own" the printers.

Standard Windows 2000 Server and Client 2000 SP2, Not
using roaming profiles.

Many thanks

Dave

I'm not 100% certain on this one but I think you need to login as the Administrator on that Windows 2000 Professional pc and add the printer that way. Then when everyone else logs in to that pc they should have it. At least that's how my software installations have worked.

If i install a local printer as the admin user all users get it.

If i install a network printer (ie shared on the server via a printserver) as the admin user none of the users get it?

Also a local installed printer can be seen and managed from explorer via network neigbourhood machinename printers

A server shared network printer installed by the admin is not visible in this location

The same is true for any form of network shared printers

the printer is in the active directory thou

What type of error do u get? Is the IDC file causing an error? If not, then make sure your guest account is active and allowed by all user in the security tab under properties of your printer

I am seeing the same problem, w/ a NT 4.0 server and 2000 Pro clients. The printers are shared on the network and are visible, but if installed that way by an admin account, the user doesn't see it. Unless as you say, you log in as the user and install it, then it appears in their printers folder.

There is a way to work around it. Install it as a local printer, but select "create a new port" in the wizard and select standard tcp/ip port. You just put the ip address in and load the correct drivers and it will work. Now, when you log off and the user logs on, they will see it because it is considered a local rather than network printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back