Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Printer Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunter

Programmer
Jan 2, 2001
US
Ok I have a terminal that I set up a net work printer just fine. When I log in as a regular user I cannot see the printer. When I login as another aministrator but not the one that created the Network printer I cannot see it. How do I make any user that sits at the terminal have access to the printers installed to that terminal?

haunter@battlestrata.com

You have to go to the properties of the printer via the account that created it. Go to the security tab and give rights to EVERYONE to print. You will notice that there is an allow and a deny column. If a right is not check to allow or deny, then it is explicitly denied.
Basically, you have to make sure that an account or group account is added with all the users who needs access to the printer. The everyone group or Domain Users group would be fine. Good Luck

HI.

It is like mapped drives - if you map a network drive as one user, this network connection is stored in the profile of that user. Other users logging in to the same machine will not see it unless they also map the drive.
Same idea for "Network Printer".

The best solution is to create a "Local Printer".
This will be available to all users of the machine.
This is also important because this method eliminates many other printing related issues.

This is what you should do:
Delete the "Network Printer" you created.
Go to "Printers" - "Server Properties" (from the menu) - "Ports" - and delete the "Lan Manager" port created before.

Now create a "Local Printer", and create a new "Local Port" that will print to the UNC path of the actual printer like \\COMPUTER\PRINTER.

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back