Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network printer is no longer available 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2001
US
I have a Windows98 PC that is connecting to Windows NT 4.0. It is using a HP5si as a network printer. I can't print to this printer. When I send a test print I receive the message: "There was an error writing to \\ntserver\HP5si The Network printer is no longer available."

I am able to print from other PC's to it I can also print to a local printer with the same drivers. I can view the job queue with other users print jobs. I've made sure that print and file sharing was enabled. I've done a net diag and the pc is responding. I'm able to ping the server and the back end. I've deleted and recreated the printer. The user is able to login at another station and use the printer. I've done a system file check. I've performed a selective starup from system configuration. I still receive the error when I print. Any ideas as to what else I can check?? Any further suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

- cybersurge -

How was this originally set up? With JetAdmin, WebJetAdmin, LPR, etc. . . .? Sometimes, those older JetAdmin's can screw some things up.

If the particular PC is the only one having issues, then one of the ports have become corrupt. Try the following: Remove/uninstall all instances of the drivers/ports (as you've probably already done about 9 times)

Restart. Next, after logging back into your network --> use network neighborhood to locate the printer on the network. Once you find it, drag -N- drop a word.doc unto the printer. Since your using NT, it will automatically ask you for the drivers for that particular printer (if none are found on the server to download automatically to your Win98 machine). You may wanna have your drivers/CD close by incase ya gotta pop them in. The install will only take a few moments and shouldn't require a restart. Fastest way to connect.

Also, once connected - remember to change the printers settings on the workstation/Win98 machine from "spool" to "print directly to. . . "

A lot of people forget that step with NT & that alone can cause issues. Simply becasue you don't need to spool to a spool.

Good Luck and hope this helps ya out.

anytime a network printer is unavailable and the network is accessable, the network printer name or path has been changed. correct the name and path of the network printer to match the name and path that are on the workstations with printer access.

Hi, A good idea for you to try first is to ping the IP address of the printer, you will be able to get the IP address from the eio test page on the printer. This will make sure your pc is connecting with the printers JD card.

Then try downloading and installing Install network printer wizard from the hp website.
Go to start programmes, HP install network printer wizard, and follow the specify printer by address option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back