Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Printer Installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick1948

Programmer
Jan 4, 2006
IT
Hi to all,

I need to install a network printer on SCO-Unix system.
How can perform this operation ?

Thank for Your Help.

Gaetano

Have you tried anything yet? How about scoadmin printer, Printer, Add Remote.

You will presumably need to add its IP address to /etc/hosts.

Annihilannic.

Please provide more details on the "network printer". There are too many variations of that description, and each may take a different method of installation/configuration on the SCO box.

Examples:
HP LaserJet with built-in Network card (HPNP)
HP or other printer using an external HP JetDirect (HPNP)
Shared printer on a PC (VisionFS or Samba)
Generic print server (D-Link, Netgear, etc.) (lpr/lpd)
Controlled by other UNIX box (lpr/lpd)
Generic "Port 9100 enabled" printer (netcat)
Slaved off a dumb terminal (poor you) (slon/sloff)

Ok, this is my 'scenario'.

throught a HUB, I have connected:
1) SCO UNIX Server (HP Proliant - Openserver 5.07 - IP 192.4.0.201)
2) 10 Windows XP PRO SP2 PC's (IP 192.4.0.xxx) with Terminal Emulation Software in order to use Data on Unix Server
3) One Brother Network Printer (with net Card)

How can configure the Network Printer on my SCO Unix Server?

First I have tried this way
mkdev rlp
But SCO Unix return to me this message:
mkdev /usr/lib/mkdev/rlp not found

I hope in Your help.
Best Regards

Gaetano

scoadmin printer manager
menu Printer -> Add Remote -> Unix ...

Be sure to untick the [ ] Use extended remote ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I suspect you'll still run into problems if you truly don't have a /usr/lib/mkdev/rlp script. This is running OpenServer Enterprise, right? The OpenServer Host version might not have that script, but you'd already have experienced other headaches long before this.

Hi,

menu Printer -> Add Remote -> Unix ...

But [bluegreedy] the Items in Add Remote are disabled.

The SCO Openserver 5.07 installation has not been made by me, but from another developer.

How can I verify if all the software, needed for this network services, has been installed?

And if, [evil]as I suspect, does the software miss, how I can resolve the problem?

Best Regards

Gaetano

man custom

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Funny thing, I'm in the middle of a battle to do the same thing for a series of systems I support. I'll start another thread covering it.
In the meantime, rlpconf is a configuration aid for printers on other 'nix boxes, not for network printers, and not what is needed in this case.
I suspect that SAMBA will be the solution, but I'm having a rough time getting a late version.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

rlpconf is a configuration aid for printers on other 'nix boxes
I disagree.
It's a configuration aid for any LPD/LPR based printer.

Hope This Helps, PH.

Based it on the instructions of what to modify on the remote box to get it to work.
And the thread isn't about a printer on a remote box.

Ed Fair

no its about a network printer with its own built in print server.....that should support lpd/lpr but may only support hp or netware or windows...i don;t know "brothers"
the other option would be to use netcat but i would try lpd/lpr first.

Supposedly visionfs has the capability at version 2.8 and up with the exception that v3.0 needs a patch. But vision has gone off the radar screens except for additonal money due to the SCO/Tarantella breakup.
Samba is supposed to do it, but I've not reached that point yet.
The "brother" just happens to be the box accessed through the amphenol connector that is addressed at the all-in-one printer slot on the dlink server.

The "netware" and "windows" choices are unavailable in printer control. This on 5.0.5E. Don't know if AFPS would bring them into play, but for now I'm not willing to spend money to find out. At least not until I've tried the other free potential solutions.

Ed Fair

Downloaded and implemented the netcat stuff from aplawrence. Would probably have spent weeks without your advice Stan.

What I have and how it connects:

Dell > dlink > brother
5.0.5 print server 8840
all patches w/printer all-in-one
192.168.2.250 192.168.2.240
printer brother
interface netcat

The interface script is a slight mod of the one listed on Tony's site. Dumps the file through nlcr filter and the formfeed filter, both as documented.

Will continue testing on this one and look into the rlp problems I ran up against.
Suspect that it will work for the original poster once he digs out the port info from the brother network card.

Ed Fair

Your Brother printer manual has instructions for this. Basically you only have to put an entry in /etc/hosts and a suitable entry in /etc/printcap. It couldn't be easier. My /etc/printcap entry for an HL5170DN is:
#Brother HL5170
DSU:\
:lp=:rm=10.xxx.xxx.xx:rp=TEXT_P1:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/DSU:

The only problem that I have is that I cannot get it to print from the lower tray. When I do a lp -o "lower" -dDSU /etc/hosts it comes out of the top tray. If anyone has the answer to that I would be most grateful.

Hi!

Maybe you can use this way...
(you have to install the 'operating system service - Print utilities')

1) - scoadmin printer
Options -> Defaults ->
[X] Accept New Remote Unix Jobs
System -> Print Services ->
[X] Local Print Services Enabled
[X] Remote UNIX Print Service Enabled

2) edit your /etc/hosts with the name and Ip of your printer.
ex: 192.168.1.10 HPlaserJet

3) - rlpconf

4) edit your /etc/printcap
and change the destination port: (here is an HP)
NameOfPrinterQueue:\
:lp=:rm=HPlaserJet:ex:rp=raw:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/test:mx#0:
In this case 'raw' is inserted for the remote port.

5) Final test
Create a simple text file in /tmp like test.txt
Then
- lp -dNameOfPrinterQueue /tmp/test.txt

6) go take a look on your printer %-)

Hope this helps you...

4) edit your /etc/printcap
and change the destination port: (here is an HP)
NameOfPrinterQueue:\
:lp=:rm=HPlaserJet:ex:rp=raw:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/test:mx#0:
^^^

I would strongly suggest that you remove this directive :)ex).
it is to be used only if the "remote" queue is on an sco box, and even then it doesn't always work correctly.

Use the hp print server. Start it up then add an hp printer.
Presto it is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back