Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network printer fault 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim7

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2002
GB
I have an HP1240 laser printer coupled to the network via a print server. The printer has stopped printing and even when i press self print it refuses to do so. I would like to ask if there is a test that i can perform to see if the cabling in the network is ok and if the print server can be tested. i am still learning with this technology so easy steps would be appreciated
All the best to you all
Tim7

You can ping the print server. If it responds the cabling is OK. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I am assuming that when you say self print you mean on the printer. If the printer does not print a self test page pressing the button on the printer once then the printer may have a problem. Also there is a button on all print servers which if pressed once will print a print server configuration page to the printer. The ping to the print server ip address will check the connection up to that point. A configuration page sent from the print server to the printer will check that path. And the printer self test page on the printer will check the printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back