Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Printer Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

StorageLady

Programmer
Nov 27, 2001
US
Running FPW2.6a on a Windows '98 Peer to Peer Network.

I have a printer that is NOT attached to a specific printer. Rather it is directly cabled to the Windows Network

When I issue a report form xyz to print prompt, the name of the network printer shows up. However, if I just hit enter (or click OK), the report will print on the default printer on my LPT1

IF I instead press "Setup" when the print prompt screen appears, and then press OK on the subsequent Print Setup screen which already shows the Network printer selected - then the report is directly properly to the network printer.

I can't figure out why this is happening! I even saved the network printer selection in the report itself (Alt-F, I)
However, even though it shows the network printer as the default - it will print to my LPT1 unless I go through the Setup screen.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

Try SET PRINTER TO \\<machine name>\<printer name> = LPT1 before launching the report. Remember FPW only accepts 8.3 names format.

Hope this helps.

David.

Unfortunately, I can't use the set printer to with a machine name because it isn't attached to a computer! It has its own network connection directly into the network.

The network recognizes it as a printer, FPW also recognizes it (eventually).
Any other options that would allow my users to bypass the print setup screen?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back