Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Printer Addition 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

coltrane

MIS
Aug 13, 2001
US
How do I add a network printer to the system on 5.5?

The easiest way is to do it with "admintool".

Very easy .

If for some reason you do not have admintool, look at the man pages for "lpadmin"

Hi,
To add a network printer to the server add the printers IP address in the file /etc/hosts for eg
10.101.173.101 prnserver
Then try to ping this IP.If u r able to successfully ping to this IP,then give the command:-
lpadmin -p prn2 -s prnserver!prn1
where prn2 is name of printer on your server
prnserver is name of print server
prn1 is the printer name
then make it default printer on your server by giving the cmd:
lpadmin -d prn2
I hope this helps....

The best way to add any printer, really, is to use Hp JetAdmin. If you don't have it, you can download it from hp's website. They have a version for many flavors (operating systems) available.

The info provided is very easy to follow if you read it.

The software will go out and verifiy if the ip address of the printer is ping-able before trying to config it. Al

No allowed to load software on these Solaris systems without approval from a "windows" user. (no offense intended).

NavinB, Ive already attempted to use lpadmin. Now it tells me that the printer isnt accepting requests. Its a LaserJet printer with an internal NIC.

Have you issued the "enable" & "accept" commands for the newly added printers? Al

Hi,
Since the printer is a remote printer,it won't take the enable and accept commands.Just check out if u are able to ping to the IP address of the printer and secondly see whether the printer is online or offline b'coz when u add a remote printer that is online it automatically accepts the print requests.....

it actually took the accept and enable commands, but I still cant get it to print......of course while this is going on my NIS and POP3 servers gotto crap. I'm loving my day

I knew it would, Thank you!!!

What does the reply to lpstat -t produce. Al

It accepting requests......

but when I attempted to print out /etc/hosts, lpq tells me that the printer is down, and the system is not responding....

It the printer NIC a Hp JetDirect card?

Did you set a hostname for the NIC and are you using this name as the printer servername that you setup with lpadmin?? Al

You should have set up the printer first with the lpsystem command before you used the lpadmin command.

Try this:
lpsystem -t bsd printservername(NIC_name)
lpadmin -p your_name_printer -s NIC_name!NIC_name_printer
lpadmin -p your_name_for_printer -T unknown -I any
accept your_name_for_printer
enable your_name_for_printer
Al
Al

Here's my command syntax:

lpadmin -p ucprint01 -s ucprint01!HpLaserJet
enable ucprint01; accept ucprint01

I added ucprint01 to /etc/lp/Systems

Coltrane:

This is why I said to use JetAdmin - lpadmin stinks for this type of application - so does admintool - believe me I went through this.

Listen, there are three things going on here: the NIC name (print server); the Print server's name for itself; your name for the printer.

The NIC has to have a name - this will be your print server name - the name of the printer will resolve to its ip. Then the NIC will have a name for the printer it is attached to - this is what it calls the printer, its local printer name. Then you will call the printer something - it can be the same as what the print server calls itself.

If the print server's name (NIC) is ucprint01 and it calls itself HpLaserJet and you want to call it HpLaserJet then:

lpsystem -t bsd ucprint01
lpadmin -p HpLaserJet -s ucprint01!HpLaserJet
lpadmin -p HpLaserJet -T unknown -I any
accept HpLaserJet
enable HpLaserJet

Why don't you delete the entry from /etc/lp/Systems and try again.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back