Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network port problems. Virus?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirrus9

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2001
US
Hi guys,
If you have addressed this topic, please forgive me. I didn't have time to read through. I have been fighting viruses on this hybrid network (28 clients 3 servers/ servers are NT 4.0 & clients are XP Pro and 2K Pro) There are problems getting mail and going to certain internet sites I have removed nimda.d (which was sitting right on the solomon server), the download trojan virus and beagle. There were also problems with sasser which I think have been irradicated with the security patches from MS.

I am having problems, however, with port 8383 being inundated with hits but I can't find where it is coming from. Even when viewing webmail going through port 8383 there is a problem. Are there any viruses that are particularly bad right now that the profile might fit or that I have overlooked? I used remote scanning tools (Panda & Trend-Micro). I spoke to another local Network Admin and he is having the same problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

get i.e. analyzer, do a capture and check the capture for port 8383. there you will see wich machine creates the traffic.

An even easier way of finding which machine is banging out to the port is to shut each machine down one by one. Check the port each time you shut a machine down and when it stops you more than likely have your culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back