Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Places

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtownlady

MIS
Nov 21, 2002
US
Our Win2k server crashed, no graceful demotion. It was the Master Operations, DNS, WINS server. I moved all the Master Operations to the other DC's. I removed all AD objects for the crashed server. I have rebuilt the server. I have DNS and WINS working correctly. However, my Network Places is only displaying the 'ntweb' domain objects for my sub net 156.125.90. My domain is tnwb.circ6.dcn and this includes several other sub nets that used to display in network places. You can use the UNC to access computers / servers or the ip address. But we generally use "Network Places" to browse to the server we need to briefly access for software installations, etc. I cannot find any entry that is restricing our view to 'ntweb' or 156.125.90. There are no errors in the log files. Any suggestions? [sadeyes]

In Network Identification for the workstations they should specify the FQDN fully qualified domain name of your domain.... ntwb.circ6.dcn not just ntwb

All workstations show the FQDN in the Network Identification and the domain as tnwb.circ6.dcn as well.
I have lost the computers in a different subnet but same domain.

How about the wins server, are all the workstations pointing to that? What kind of workstations are missing? OS?

I don't understand exactly where the magic lies, but the server that crashed was the PDC from our NT network. We had built 6 Win2k servers after upgrading an NT server. This NT upgraded server was the one that crashed. It obviously contained the PDC role. I had seized the role to another DC running IIS, SQL and it appeared to be happy. However, the master browser role would not relocate. After I moved the PDC role back to the rebuilt server, and moved the Master Browser, then the entire domain is available in Network Places. I had removed all AD objects for the failed server, rebuilt and renamed the server, so how with a different SID it actually knew where home was, I'll never understand. There were no errors for the Master Browser so I made it a little hard to diagnose. I ran the "browstat status" command and each server generally pointed to a different master, that was the clue that the registry setting was not being effective.
Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back