Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network places not showing other PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldrafting

Technical User
Jan 9, 2005
US
I went away for a weekend and was able to use the high speed acces in a hotel. When I came back home, my other pcs no longer show up in the network places. The system I am having problems with (suddenly) is a laptop. I usaually access the the network through a Linksys wireless router. And can plug into the network and use the shared files and printers. But after plugging into the hotel's internet access, all that is gone. I can still use the wireless internet in my network, I can ping the router, I can even log into the router. But I can not access the shared printers or files. No changes have been made to the laptop or to my desktop system. Anybody have an idea as to what may be causing this problem.

aldrafting,

Check to see that you are still on the same workgroup as the other PCs on your network.
This may have changed while using hotel high speed access.
The default workgoup for Windows XP Professional is "WORKGROUP" and the default for Windows XP Home edition is "MSHOME".
If the workgroup names on each computer are all the same, check your filewall settings and ensure that File and Printer sharing is selected under "allowed programs and sevices".

Please make a post and let us know if you were able to resolve your problem.

-Brett

Thanks for the reply. The workgroup has not changed. Is it still the same for all Comps on the network. The firewall seetings have not changed either. I checked the firewall settings on the laptop having the problem. It is disable. I checked the network card settings, TCP/IP, Netbios. Nothing has changed. I am stumped.

aldrafting,

Please don't be offended, but...

Are you using a different login name or password on your laptop? Has your account information changed on the desktop computer(s)?
Please check your account settings and let us know that everything is copasetic.

-Brett

Brett,

Nontaken. You know I tried that too. I changed the password to reflect that on the other machines. I even made an account with the same username and password that I have on another machine in the network. That didn't work. I just don't what else to do. But hey - keeep the suggestions coming guys. We'll hit something soon :D

Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections, LAN settings, uncheck all the boxes found on that page.

Did you try running the Network Stup wizard again ?

-
mobajwa

After the game ,the king and the pawn , both go in the same box.

I'm curious as to your network configuration. Please do the following:

(1) From the Windows XP OS, Click Start, type CMD & press Enter.
(2) At the command prompt, type:

IPCONFIG /ALL

It doesn't matter if it is in upper or lower case, but make sure to put a space between the G & the /.

(3) When you have done this, tell me what you have listed for these:

* Connection-specific DNS Suffix
* DHCP Enabled
* Autoconfiguration Enabled
* IP Address
* Subnet Mask
* Default Gateway
* DHCP Server
* DNS Servers

Regards,
Doc

======================================

"Freely you have received, freely give." --Jesus

pcdoc4christ@yahoo.com

Did you say you have XP installed? Doesn't matter; the IP configuration may still help solve the problem.

Al:

Got to go, but if DHCP is enabled, try to run CMD.EXE & then type the following at the command prompt:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE

Then press Enter & type:

IPCONFIG /RENEW

Your PC probably received a new IP Address via the DHCP server @ the hotel & just needs to renew with the DHCP server (your router?) now that it's back on your SOHO network. You may have to restart your PC before you will be able to browse the network.

If that doesn't work, i'm sure one of us will come up with the answer.

Regards,
Doc

Have you tried the netsh reset command?

command: netsh int ip reset C:\reset.log

documentation:
It has fixed our problems more than once! It does not appear to have an affect on the computer name, or on the network name.

-Suthern

Hey guys, I finally had a chance to try some of the suggestions. And I do thank you very much. BUT -- yea I know.. It is still a no go. Internet connection - Great no problem there. I can surf, check email, bla bla. I can log into the router from the laptop. But still can not see the other comps on the network, nor use the shared printer that is on the network. And well I had no problems doing that before.
* Connection-specific DNS Suffix
* DHCP Enabled NO
* Autoconfiguration Enabled
* IP Address 192.168.1.15
* Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
* Default Gateway 192.168.1.2
* DHCP Server 207.69.188.XXX
* DNS Servers 207.69.188.XXX

Only put the XXX in for security reasons.

To answer back some of your questions.

XP installed?? YES
netsh int command did nothing either.

I have never had a problem like this. I have checked and rechecked all the system settings. Nothing has changed on the shared comp, or shared printers. When I bring up MY NETWORK PLACES, and then view entire network -- I only see the laptop, nothing else.

Sorry for the long post..

Any other ideas ????

Thanks,
David

Suthern,

The Winsockxpfix ----- WORKED.

I ran that program one other time because the normal users cold not use IE but Admins could. And it fixed that problem. I guess the registry, and the winsock must have gotten corrupt again. I thought about running it again, but figured since I ran it that time itwas good.

Any way --Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOO much for all the help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back