Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network password programs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

outhere

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2001
CA
Problem:
The server sees all other PC's and can access drives shared.
The win98 machines see all other pc's and server and can access their drives but not on the server. when double clicking the server message pops up....
"you must supply a password to make this connection"
\\dis\IPC$
dis is the name of the server
There is no password set for this drive.
I tried all my passwords that i use regularly within the win2000 (ex logon)
The drive is shared, mind you there is no little hand on the c drive its self (weird my cd rom drives and floppy do)

Hope my situation is clear...please let me know what I forgot to do...

Thanks Josh Maxwell
Discover Computers
CTO/MIS - (self-taught)
discover_computers@hotmail.com
DirectLine-514.595.6024

Are you logged on as a user that normally has access to these resources? When Windows 9x/ME prompts you like that, it is assuming you want to log on as the current user.

Hope that helps some. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

Well in the win98 network neiborhood, all pc are visible. I can enter all win 98 stations and view their hardrive ect... in the pc with the win2000 server, when i try to access its HD thats what it gives me. \\dis\IPC$...
hmmm...Ive seen this before, just cant recall how to fix this issue... Josh Maxwell
Discover Computers
CTO/MIS - (self-taught)
DirectLine-514.595.6024

Check your security on the server.. you may have it so everyone is disabled and only select users can see it and login. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

When I turn on my laptop computer, it brings me to a sign in screen that reads :user name : then below that it says :password:.. After typing in every combination I think it could be, I proceed onto a screen that says check password for capitalization. User is not valid.... Now, how can I go about getting onto my computer without knowing this.. Is there a way or would I have to take it in and have it looked at by a computer programmer? Please let me know asap.. thank you

Jason

Jason where is this showing up? Is this a Windows signon screen? If so, what OS? With Windows 9x/ME just press escape to bypass the signon. If it is Windows NT/2k/XP, you will have to sign on using the Administrator account to change the password. If this is the Administrator account, first shame on you for using it. Second... your screwed. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

sorry i want very clear.. from all 4 pc's (win 98) hooked up to a WAN/LAN via a lynksys router. The win 98 systems have access to the other win 98 c drives in network neiborhood. But the windows 2000 server pc is visible not accessible... when i double click on it it tells me " a network password is needed..." \\dis\IPC$...
what is that, what did i forget.
Bottom line, I can see the windows server pc but cant access its contents from the win 98 systems...

thanks Josh Maxwell
Discover Computers
CTO/MIS - (self-taught)
DirectLine-514.595.6024

How is the security set up in the basic sense? What I was saying is that the server might have restricted access so the clients can't access the server. By default the Win98 shares are open. I think by default the 2000 shares are locked. Only authorized users have access. Allow everyone access to the share and it should work. If the share is secured, you would be prompted for a password because the 2000 box isn't recognizing the username and/or password. And since 98 can't prompt for a username, it will only ask for a password.

Is the user set up on the 200 server?

...unless I am not seeing what you are talking about. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

...I guess I should ask what you have done for troubleshooting? How much expirience do you have with Windows 2000 server and security? Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

not too much exploring i guess. the user setup on 2000 server is the demo user. Within server 2000 I went to the computer management> services and applications>services and well am checking that out as we type.

I see what your saying and I have a feeling you are right. the default share wouldnt let others access, thought I chaged that by right clicking on the c drive and set the ioption to share this drive. The interesting thing about it all is that the small blue hand does not appear on the drive, indicating that it is shared...

but we're on the right path...thanks Josh Maxwell
Discover Computers
CTO/MIS - (self-taught)
DirectLine-514.595.6024

no suggestions?... any idea how to check if the demo user derfault settings were set as to not share.?> Josh Maxwell
Discover Computers
CTO/MIS - (self-taught)
DirectLine-514.595.6024

Oh sorry.. didn't see the question.

I don't remember what needs to be done. Maybe someone else on this forum can help. If you can wait until tomorrow evening, I can take a look then. I need to look at my system at home to tell you what to take a look at.

If this is for Windows 2000 server, there is a forum specifically for Windows 200 server. Post the question on there, they may be able to help you better than I can. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

When you want to access any shared files/folders on a W2K machine, you must have a user account setup on the W2K machine.Add a user and set his password, then go to the shared folder/file and select the security tab and either add him in or make sure everyone is ther with full permissions. Then when prompted for a user name and password use the user and password you created.

this is a security lockout that cannot be changed on the win2k computer. you must access the server from either Nt4 or Win2k. this is because the IPC$ share is the named pipeline that the machines connect through and will not allow pre 2000 or NT boxes due to the lack of decent authentication and/or encryption.

What you need to do is create a user account on the Win2k box, the same as the logon on the 9x box. You may not think you have one, but you do. To find out what it is, do a 'logoff' on the 9x box and it will give you the user id that you need to create. As farr as the password is concerned, if you do not put a password in when logging onto the 9x box, then give it a blank password.

This cured my problem

hi,

having read the thread, it looks to me like an authentication issue :-(

easiest solution:
configure your win2k server as a domain controller, then set your win98 clients to logon to the domain, setup user accounts in the domain that match the users on the workstations.....

hey presto, everything works....

ok, a bit of work is required to set this up, but you will reap benefits later......

hope this helps....

Jon. :)
----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

You might try just enabling the GUEST account. Works for win2k pro. I'm not sure about server.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back