Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Neighbourhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy542

MIS
Jul 3, 2002
ZA
My organisation has a WAN setup with each of the units in their own domain. From the headquaters, I am not able to see the other domains in the Network Neighbourhood yet the other domains can see all the domains on my network.
Also name resolution seem to be an issue (we use WINS only) and as such we are having serious issues as these guys work real time from the Headquarters.

Andy

>My organisation has a WAN setup with each of the units in their own domain.

That's good.

>From the headquaters, I am not able to see the other domains in the Network Neighbourhood yet the other domains can see all the domains on my network.

You probably don't have sufficiant privlage to view the network.

>Also name resolution seem to be an issue (we use WINS only) and as such we are having serious issues as these guys work real time from the Headquarters.

What are you trying to say or ask? WINS is ok unless you have 100's of workstations or an exchange server then I'd suggest using DNS.

~Rick

I would have thought it would be very difficult to run a network without DNS unless you have a very reliable way of updating the Hosts files on each computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back