Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Neighbourhood PROBLEMS !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

primobruno

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2002
PT
Hello to all :)

I'll start with a small description of my network.

- 1st PC - WinXP - Realtek - TCP/IP - (no firewall)
- 2nd PC - Win2k - 3Com - TCP/IP - (no firewall)
- 3rd PC - Win98 - D-link(NE2000) - TCP/IP (share files and printer)

All my computer are connected to a LINKSYS gateway.
The LINKSYS is my DHCP server and the connection to the internet via my cable modem.
All my PC's receive IP/subnetmask from Linksys (OK).
All of them are in the same workgroup and have the same DNS servers.

With the same user and password i can browse (\\IP1) from WinXP to Win2000 and from Win2000 to WinXP.

MY PROBLEM !!!!
I CAN'T browse from Win98 to WinXP or Win98 to Win2000,
neither the oposite.
It's strange because they can PING between them ALL.

I'm no einstein and i'm lost.
If you could help me , please do. :)

Hi,

Hope this helps:

Win98 uses a different implementation of MS TCP/IP. You can ping, sure, but WIn98 has problems with MasterBrowser, and using TCP/IP for seeing other computers. You should also be able to connect to shares on any of the machines using full UNC path rather than trying to browse.
Problem is not always sorted by installing NetBEUI, but most of the time this works (has for me with similar problems in past). Seems a bit backward to use NetBEUI when all are TCP/IP compatible, but when Win98 was made (upgrade from Win95, essentially), NetBEUI was still used a lot in small offices and in the home, and the MS TCP/IP version used a different protocol stack. If you look at some offices that still use WinNT or W2K as servers, but have Win95.98 on the network, a lot of them have NetBEUI installed along with TCP/IP (installed by default for Win9x).
Once again, hope this helps.

Will

PS - It can take a while (sometimes an hour or so) for the Win98 machine to pick up the Browser information after NetBEUI is installed. Plus, remember that this needs to be installed on all the machines.

Thanks Guys !!!
You're ALL good friends.
See u in here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back