Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Neighbourhood cannot see PC's on different subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigeeles

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2002
AU
Hi all, I'm sure some of you have seen this problem before, but I haven't been able to find a solution to it yet, so here it is...

I have a network with 2 different subnets - XP workstations with a 2000 server running DDNS, connected via a router. I have managed to set it up so I can access every PC using UNC (\\pcname\share), but when browsing through My Network Places, I can only see computers that are in my subnet, and not in the other. I have activated NetBIOS on every machine (as mentioned in another forum) but still no luck. The only solution that I can think of is to install WINS, but considering this is a 2000 network with DDNS, I fell that this would be taking a step backwards.

Any help or ideas on this are greatly appreciated. If you need any more configuration information, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Craig.

So the computers in a subnet can only see other computers in the same subnet? Or is it that one subnet can't be browsed at all by any computers?

ricpinto & Teamaker - Thanks for the TID's. They've defiently giving me some more ideas to try out. I will get back to you with how I go.

philote - Just to clear up the issue, I have two subnets (S1 & S2); when using a PC on S1, I cannot browse S2 through network neighbourhood (I can only see PC's in the same subnet), though I can ping and Map to S2 using UNC names; vice versa when on a PC on S2 trying to browse S1.

Hi. I've had a play around with a few things, and yes, using LMHOSTS files work, though... (now I get fussy) I do not want to modify the LMHOST file on every PC (yes I know this can be automated through login scripts etc). I see the LMHOSTS as a workaround to the problem, not a solution. I'm sure there is a correct way to do this using DDNS, though I haven't found it yet. Also I didn't mention this before, but I do have a static network (no DHCP).

Any other tips are appreciated.
Thanks again in advance...

Craig

OK I found a great TID which describes how the browsing service works, and how to to configure the network so that it browses accross WAN's. see - a very good read.

There a a couple of ways to do this.
1 - Use WINS (the best solution)
2 - Open the correct port on the router (see link above) to allow browsing accross the network (increases network traffic greatly)
3 - Modify the LMHOST file on each machine(very time consuming and very had to administor)

The problem I have with this, is that I am using DDNS - which should therefore take over the role of WINS (see
What I need to do is to get DDNS to perform name resolution in windows networking accross a router? Any reason why DDNS should not be able to do this???

Regards,
Craig E.

PS - WINS is a working solution to this problem, however, I am trying to phase out WINS which is why I want to get the DDNS solution working.

Hi craigeeles

If you've got a router seperating the 2 sb's you could add in an ip route on your dhcp/dns server(s) that will do the trick for all pc's that get there ip's assigned from that machine.

I agree host files are an ugly fix. If you don't use dynamically assigned ip's etc you could just run a batch file with the route add data in it.

I must admit I can't tell you the exact syntax, but do run: cmd route add/? to find the syntax, route print shows whats already configured.

BTW a mistake I have often made is adding a specific host ip (eg 192.168.1.123) this doesn't work, what the route add command is looking for is the subnet i.e. 192.168.1.0

Good luck with your problem, hope this helps...

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back