Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbarrett

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2001
US
I'm on a lan at school with about 20 other computers, a mix of 98, 2K and XP all on the same workgroup. All the XP machines can see eachother and can see my 2K box in network neighborhood. My 2K machine doesn't see anyone other than myself. Not sure what the deal is.
I have the browser service started, Netbios and netbui running, file&print sharing on, and a few folders shared. I can ping the other computers in the lan -just can't connect to them in net. neigh.
All computers are behind a linksys router running DHCP.--no WINS server though.
It seems as though my computer isn't getting the browser list from the master browser--probably one of the XP boxes.

any ideas?

thanks.

You may be hitting the 10 machine limit on the 2K machines. I'm not sure if this only applies if its peer to peer or not.

One more tidbit that may help. Make sure all the machines have at least One shared folder (preferably with a password) that has full access (read and write) Make sure all the machines use the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0) this is used to enable subgroups of computers to communicate. I would also make sure that all the machines are using the same IP for the default gateway (this would be the internal network IP of the router) I would disable the "use wins resolution" You can also use the routers internal (LAN) DHCP IP for the Gateway IP. Rember though, dont use IP's XXX.XXX.XXX.255 or XXX.XXX.XXX.001 "Never Argue with an Idiot. They will Lower You to Their Level, Then Beat YOU with Experience"

Actually, I just realized that my DHCP node type was set to peer-to-peer which is a problem if there isn't a WINS server. I added a key in the registry and changed it to Broadcast...now it finds all the machine.

Thanks for all the help.
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back