Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Neighborhood too Dangerous 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopimp

MIS
Jun 9, 2002
CA
Heya All!! Friday at last...I have these 5 workstations that running win 98 2nd E. They run this dialing software for our emolyees and are networked in an ethernet LAN to a server running NT 4 SP6a. They have to see the server's mapped drive (F:\) database purposes.

The problem I encountering is that employees, I caught one this week, minimizing the Software and went into the network neighborhood where pretty much everything else is accessible.

Is there a simple fix for this? Is there a way that I can hide the network neiborhood or not make it accessible to the users that log in under a certain profile?

It's my weekend project so hopefully someone will be able to help me!

Thanks

Try the following web site: Do a search on Network Neighborhood. It shows a registry setting that you can use to hide the Network Neighborhood Icon.

Hopefully this will help

Thank you,!!

Your very kind to answer so quick!

Steve .)

They may be able to see everything, but unless you've shared machines and given everyone full permissions, they shouldnt be able to do anything malicious.

Yup - you definitely need to set some permissions there.
Create some group called DB Users, and make them only access the database folder on the server.

Make sure you take the shares off of everyone's computers too - remove the 'print and file sharing' on everyone's PC as well, that way you make sure you remove all the shares on the user's workstations.

The good thing - since you have the weekend to do it - is you can do a normal logon and test your work to see if you can browse the network neighborhood.

This is the stuff that securities and permissions are for - you don't need extra software to disable icons. -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-
If ya like the info on the posts - rate them helpful!

For Win98 Machines

Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Network]
Value Name: NoEntireNetwork
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

This should do it for you. This way you don't have to worry about removing shares or anything. They won't be able to even get in Network Neighborhood.

Let me know if you need some other restrictions. I know some good ones for locking down Win98.

I am sorry bout I think that the above post will let them see Network Neighborhood, but not allow them to click on Entire Network. Try this on. This is supposed to not let them see any thing in network neighborhood.

Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Network]
Value Name: NoWorkgroupContents

If you would like them to have no desktop at all :)

Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
Value Name: NoDesktop

This will hide the network neighborhood entirely, which is what you asked for in the first place. Just trying to give you some options.

Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
Value Name: NoNetHood

Thanks a million Dmasch!,
I'll keep you in mind when something else comes up,

I had tried:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PoliciesValue Name: NoNetHood
...to no avail, heehhh forgot about the \explorer .)

oops.

Steve .)
MGL Computers
steve.mgl@bellnet.ca

You can get more security to your mapped drive by giving permission levels.
Other option is to do some tweak work on that particular workstation to hide network neighbourhood.
Try System Policy editor....

Try Policy Editor. You can some fun locking down a ton of stuff with that. It comes with NT and is usually under admin tools in the start menu on your server.

Another method that I have used is to make all shares on the network hidden. Place a $ after the share name to hide the share. Sure they have access to it, but if they can't see it and don't know it's there. . . :) Good luck!

system policy editor, if properly configured, ought to be your route as you can customize by user, computer, group, or application...

the o'reilly book is great!!! JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back