Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Neighborhood lists are not accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMA

MIS
Feb 9, 1999
US
Situation:<br>
NT and Novell environment.<br>
Browser lists of Network Neighborhood are incomplete some workstations can see most but not all of the network, pinging and mapping are, however, still possible. WINS looks as if it is correctly configured but I am unsure of this being the real problem.<br>
Anyone have any input?

Check your sharing permissions and see if that the user(s) are only set up as domain users only.

You may be haveing a problem with either workgroup names or netbios over tcp/ip is not in use. If your windows pc's are in workgroups and not joined to a domain you will only see those pc's that are on your segment of the lan. You can be on the same segment of the lan and different workgroups and that is another reason you will not see all the workststions. If you do not have at least one pc as a master browser IE file and print sharing set up for windows you may not be able to browse them. Lastly if you are not useing a LMHOST file in the root of windows system with the correct mappings and have the #PRE #DOM tags so they will be loaded in cache.<br>
Hope this helps...:)

I had a similar problem on my network. I used a tool off of the NT Resource Kit that checks to see who your Master Browser is. I found that a lot of machines were using a server that they should not have been. So, through a registry edit, I fixed that. All the workstations started reporting back properly and the missing machines popped up in Network Neighborhood quickly. I know this tip is not very detailed, but it might point you in the right direction.

Had one time the problem that a server was not the masterbrowser, which was caused by setting it up in an<br>
environment where there was another Masterbrowser.<br>
<br>
Changed the "IsDomainMaster" to "TRUE" which seemed to help.<br>
<br>
REGEDIT4<br>
<br>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<br>
Browser\Parameters]<br>
"MaintainServerList"="Auto"<br>
"IsDomainMaster"="FALSE"

You need to turn off all browser services from all workstations. For NTW this can be done from server manager; for 9x you have to goi into NEtwork Properties and file and print services and select disable on Browser Srvice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back