Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Neighborhood empties out every few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom11011

MIS
Oct 12, 2001
US
I have this problem where the contents of the pc's listed in network neighborhood empty out every few minutes in the morning. It is very annoying. The problem just started after we migrated to active directory on 2003 from NT4.0.

Anyone know what to look for? I have a feeling it is master browser issues but I don't know where to take this. It seems most active in the morning when people are logging on to RAS.

never heard of that happening. It's happening on all the computer connected to that domain? Or just one machine?

Looks like browser elections are forced continuously. Check the event viewer for browsing errors.

What could cause that?

If I were to guess, when the user at home is booted up on there own network, they are the master browser. Then they vpn in and force an election.

Does that sound reasonable?

If so, how do you stop this?

If you are running any old legacy operating systems on the network like Win 98,95 make sure that only TCP/IP is installed for protocols. Remove all other transports, especially netbeui and netware. All devices should be checked on the network.

If it is the browser elections check the registry on any XP machines. XP comes with MaintainServerList set to auto which can force elections. You can find it in HKLM \System \CurrentontrolSet \Services \ Browser \ Parameters. Set it to No

I could try that. Do you have a microsoft article #describing this procedure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back