Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network neighborhood does not show PCs on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakhan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2000
dear folks

i have installed AD on Win2K server and added PCs

but still i cannot see them on my network neighbourhood
however DNS is installed and i can ping those systems
also i can access them by typing \\<System Name> on my explorer

please help

thanks

Jahangir

couple of things:

Check all client pcs have been added to the active directory domain. -
make sure all client pcs have the WINs and DNS address of the server-ohh and make sure WINs is installed on the server.

Go round the pcs and strip all protocols out of them-just leaving TCP-IP- so get rid of Netbui and IPX/SPX.

MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

If your going to post-- say somthing instead of Googling a URL link

Hi,

there's a limitation with WinXP in that it does not list PCs on your network unless NetBIOS is activated. It will list Servers and shares if they are added to AD (AD Users and Computers, right click any OU and select New, Shared Folder). Windows 2000 Proffessional and Server does not have this limitation.

Also, make sure they are all on same subnet

Makes sure DNS is working properly.

Cheers
Knut Erik
MCSE

I find that this is cause most often by not enableing NetBios over TCP/IP in the advanced Networking Properties. I have 6 Subnets (6 Sites)and 1 subnet Mask on one domain and I can see everything in NN.

We tested this browsing issue and we talked with microsoft about it (we're MS Gold Partners and enjoy close contacts with MS). You can search your AD for computers but browsing like we are used to in NT4 and W2K is not supported by WinXP.

Unless of course, you active NetBIOS on every machine in your network, then browsing like &quot;in the old days&quot; is possible. Even if the computer has shares or not.

But of course, If you have made other experiences, I would love to hear how you solved it without activating NetBIOS.

Cheers
Knut Erik
MCSE

all my companies machines are winXP pro with the odd 98 in some dark cracks- we have no problem browsing machines over the network and Netbios isnt enabled over tcp/ip

its the DSN thing-- im pretty sure that if you are all part of the same domain and youve got WINS and DNS running on the server with all the clients using those addresses--you can browse.

but then again by default if your using DHCP its set on the DHCP server- hmm and weve set NBT 44/46 so maybe its active-
anyway i carnt check it at this moment as i have to go out.

MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

If your going to post-- say somthing instead of Googling a URL link

We use no WINS, only DNS. Might be the reason.

Cheers
Knut Erik
MCSE

I have a similar problem that I need some help with. I have a network with 2 different subnets - XP workstations with a 2000 server running DDNS, connected via router. When browsing through My Network Places, I can see the domain fine but can only see computers that are in my subnet. I can access computers on the other subnet using UNC (\\pcname\share) but cannot see them by browsing to them. Any ideas on a fix to this, without having to activate NetBIOS on every machine.

I have the same problem...

Win 2k domain in mixed mode, one subnet, and one server running DNS and wins.

I can ping 9x clients by name, they show up in wins active registrations, but do not show up with host resords in DNS.

Consequently, they do not show up in AD Users & Computers.

I can access their shares by unc pathname from run window.

I cannot browse to any 9x clients on the network. I have tried manually adding the host records in DNS, manually adding the computer accounts, and enabling netbios over tcpip.

Everything elese (authenticatoion, file sharing between dc and clients) works fine. I noticed this when I went to share a local printer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

I think I have the problem pinpointed...but I need to know how to fix it.

When I do ann nbtstat -n from the affected 98 PC, is is not showing that it is registered in the 2K domain...even though there is a registration in the WINS database as previously mentioned.

Is there anyway to force this registration?

Thanks in Advance,

Ken

I am in the the process of deploying a 2003 box in our 2000 domain, when I was I my workstation I decided to \\<server name> to this no 2003 server, and Nothing can not be found. I know the problem has to do with DNS because I can get to it with IP-Address <static ip on server>. An the I disjoined and rejoined the domain and the computer account was created in AD. However it has no place in our domain. I did alsoenable the computer for delegation in the ad account for it ...did not work.

First: Win98 problems.
in order for win98 and lower machines to be seen properly on a domain you need to use the Active Directory Client from micros0ft.
when in a mixed environment, you also need to use netbios over tcpip. Win98 does not have the same IP stack as XP and does not use dns like xp does. in fact win98 doesnt really use dns at all for browsing, it relies on WINS and netbios.

Second: WinXP
if you are in a winXP only environment, you dont need wins. XP uses DNS exclusivly for name lookup.
if you want to browse or need to see win98, you need to use wins or netbios. Please do not confuse netbios with betbuie.

Third: browsing between subnets.
in order to browse between subnets you must have a router (where a windows machine or hardware router) sending netbios info between subnets. DNS and wins will not facilitate browsing between subnets. remeber that all acctual information exchange works on IP address and MAC address, the naming is nother more than pointers to IP's or MAC's

Doomhamur
Network Engineer

&quot;Certifications? we dont need no stinking certifiaction.&quot;
yahoo IM handle: greater_vortex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back