Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Neiborhood not seeing other computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhombus65

Technical User
Oct 22, 2003
US
I have two computers networked through a Broadband router/firewall.One is W98 the other is W2K Pro.

All is working well with the exception that Network Neiborhood on the W98 machine does not see my W2K computer.

I am able to access the W2k computer by "RUN" (Network name)

Sharing printer no problem.

Just not seen in network Neiborhood.

I'm stumped!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Jim: A+, MCP W2k, Master Electrician

"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing..."
-Albert Einstein

Create a user/pass on the 2000 box and use that to log onto microsoft network on the 98 comp. That MAY solve the problem...

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Actually sounds like he did that already, he can run, and type in the unc path, and access resources, at least that's what it sounds like to me.

Are both machines running TCP/IP w/ static IPs?
You can also enable NetBEUI on both.
You could also go to start, find, computer, and search for the 2000 computer, then right click on it, and hit create shortcut. This will put a shortcut to it on your 98 desktop.
An lmhosts file is another option.

Hope this helps.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thank you for your replies.

I do have NetBEUI installed and as I mentioned everything works fine except that Network Neiborhood from W98 does not see the W2K computer.

I am a little rusty with W98 networking and only set this up for practice as I have a job coming up that I need to network with W98 and XP.

I would rather not go with an LMHost file if I can avoid it.

I welcome any other comments or suggestions.

"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing..."
-Albert Einstein

Access Control Tab in Network Applet of 98 says what?
User level or Share level

Client for MS Networks properties on 98 says what?
Is it listed as Primary Network Logon?

walk through these steps to see if perhaps you missed something along the way...

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Great link, TT4U! I always forget to mention that site...
[idea]

TekTippy4U:

Thank you for your response.

I am using Share Level Access Control.

Primary Logon is Client for Microsoft Network.

I will check out the link you provided.

Thanks.

-Albert Einstein

If the Win 2K machine is formatted NTFS this could be the problem, I know windows 98 is supposed to network with 2K and XP, but I ran in to a problem with Win 98 to XP, finally had to work thru the Shared Programs folder on the XP to get the 98 computer to see it. Also running a firewall like zone alarm will make it invisible. Don't think the router will bother you. Any advice on this will surely be appreciated.
Billy

billy71:

W2k is NTFS.

I do run Zone Alarm but tried disabling it and still no luck.

Maybe I will try building an HD with W2K using fat32 and see if that works.

Thanks for the tips.

-Albert Einstein

Maybe I will try building an HD with W2K using fat32 and see if that works

Whoa, hold on a sec!

Over a network, it doesn't matter whether NT/2K/XP is using NTFS or not. The operating system shares its resources and does not analyze what the other PC is running. The only restrictions you should run into with an NT OS are mentioned above in the link TekTippy provided. Reformatting and using FAT32 makes no difference to Win98 in a network environment.

Rhombus,
Assuming you have all 3rd-party software disabled and have followed each instruction at that link, then everything should be good to go. If not, post back with the additional steps that you tried as a result of visiting that site.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Have you tried running the network connection wizard? I have connected a 98 box with an XP box and found that all I needed to do was create a diskette from the XP boe (Network wizard) and run it on the 98 Box. After I ran it, I could see the XP box and the XP box could see the 98 box.

hope it helps

Phibro3368

Thank you all for your posts.

phibro3368: I am using W2k not XP. Thanks anyway.

I have tried everything and nothing has worked. I even tried removing NetBEUI and networking using just IP.

I do not know why but the W98 Network Neiborhood just will not see the W2K machine.

Thank you all again.

-Albert Einstein

Rhombus said:
I have tried everything and nothing has worked

Just wanted to confirm, are you sure you followed ALL seven steps at that link TT4U posted above? Steps 5 and 6 are important if you want to be able to use Network Neighborhood on the Win98 PC.

The alternative as you probably know is from the Win98 PC to go to Start -> Run and type \\computername (where computername is the name of the Win2K PC). This should bring up an explorer window showing you all resources that the Win2K PC is sharing.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg:

Thank you for your reply.

I am certain I followed the steps properly.

I am able to browse the W2K computer by going to RUN and entering \\computername and I am also able to share printers no problem. It is just Network Neiborhood that is not working properly.

I am perplexed.

-Albert Einstein

I had a problem of a similar nature and got it solved, please refer to my post "W98 - Lost connection to my workgroup" , you might find some ideas in there.

Tomahawk

don't know what's going on - perhaps this link can give some info -

Q. 1. You think this is a 98 issue or a 2K issue? - try re-enabling ZA and make sure the 2K box address falls into the "allowable" address range.....also if using Adaware SE, turn off AdBlock as this may stop Reg keys from keeping the settings upon reboot (it'll may stop RunOnce keys from registering any change you may make) unless you tell it to "allow" it.
Q. 2 Is the Win2K box acting as / running Server software?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back