Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark192

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2002
GB
I'm looking to purchase new netork management utils

Anyone got any favorites???

Too vague.. how much network management? enterprise? local? lan?

A good start is Solarwinds. A cheaper enterprise level or workgroup level is SNMPc from CastleRock. If you have the bucks and the need, then HP Openview is pretty much the defacto standard tho' some will argue for Tivoli (spelling?)

It really depends on what you mean by management. A good syslog server is invaluable.. there are log file tools which help also.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Hi Mike

WAN and LAN, 20 wan sites with low bandwidth conections as mainly off-shore.

Connections are are combination FR and leased line with multiple sat hops thrown in.

What kind of information do you want to collect?
up/down status
Interface errors
status of bandwidth
faults
device status (CPU, memory, buffer utilization)
Config change/control

If you are looking at simple network traffic and you have a Cisco pure environment, Ciscoworks is good. I forget which package has it, but I think it is Ciscoworks for Windows which includes What's Up Gold built into it. It should cost you around $2800 depending on the deal you can find.

HP Openview Campus is your next choice. It exchanges the configuraion management functionality with a slew of other bells and whistles to include event notification and alarming. Its the dog, but you will only be able to manage 250 nodes, not a problem with your network it seems.

Of course, if price is the issue and you want something simple, Mike is correct with his assessment of Solarwinds as a good choice.

Blaine

Not too worried about price, mainly looking to get banwidth stats out of it, plus up and downtime useage etc.

I'm using Solarwinds to pull Stats on ISDN,Frame, LAN Extentions and VPN's. HP Openview for the status of all Switches, Router, Servers and all other Devices. Our Switch manfacturer has a product for managing the switches which is helpful.

Solarwind is handy because it has a number of tools, IP Mgmt, Net Perf, security etc.

John

The bargain basement solution:
- For uptime/downtime & status I use What'sUpGold.
(it does more than this of course.. check it out!)

- For BW tracking, I use MRTG (free). It just polls the interfaces for their 5min avg stats and graphs them daily/weekly/monthly and yearly. Very customizable too. If you learn your MIB's you can graph anything against time.. CPU, disk utilization, etc etc. It spits out PNG files that you can use in your own custom monitoring web page for ex..

- For other tracking, Kiwi Syslog server ($70? for full version ..) I log parts of my ACL's (security) as well as BGP/OSPF changes, interface ups & downs etc etc. With the full version of Kiwi you can log to MSSQL and then do neat things like run Crystal against it to see uptime, downtime, # hours out of service by circuit etc etc. Great for enforcing your SLA with your ISP too! ;)

MRTG is the way to go, you can get just about anything done with it and its free, plus its web based so anyone can view it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back