Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Monitoring tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlowe9

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
US
We are looking into installing a network monitoring tool. We currently are outsourcing this, but are looking to bring it in.

The major ones we are looking at are Unicenter and OpenView. We have CA ServiceDesk already, but would like to hear from any users who may have experience in both to the pros and cons of each, as well as any other network monitoring tools that we may want to see.

Thanks

In my opinion Unicenter is quite good as far as enterprise wide solutions go. There are better point solution products out there ie BMC Patrol. However cost is a factor when deploying on a large scale. Unicenter does require ALOT of customisation go get it to where you'll want to be for your purposes so I'd suggest there will need to be a dedicated person or couple of people looking at it. Enterprise wide implementations tend to fall over if the responsibility is not placed on an exculsive area. I haven't used Openview so I can't comment... again my opinion only.. :)

Thanks, I appreciate your response.
I'd be glad to take others also, if anyone has opinions.

Unicenter's Systems Management piece will certainly do the trick for you, I have worked with a team that has had great success with it over a period of time and across operating system platforms. But it is certainly not the easiest to use. Do yourself a favor, build 'in-house' knowledge of the product and do not rely too heavily on CA's techs. Also, whenever they are on-site, have somebody watch their every move, they will try to distract that, especially if something doesn't work right away...the time when you most need to see what they're doing, they'll try to apply a fix or a work-around and not tell you. There are easier to use products, with better 'direct-out-of-the-box' settings, but without Unicenter's overall power. Unfortunately I don't have any 'direct' experience with Openview to match it against, but it is my belief that Unicenter is the more customizable and powerful product...but you must get to know the software...

Good luck, and by the way, if you are in Philadelphia or South Jersey and need a good Unicenter Technician who has 'ground floor' experience installing and administering the product (on Tandem, Windows and Unix), and dealing with CA Supoport, I recently left a lead Unicenter technician position in Florida to move to South Jersey and get married and I am now back in the Job Marketplace after taking off a little time to settle in with my bride.

Anyway, Good Luck again...

Harry J Guynup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back