Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Monitor to see who is accessing my DC? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverDrive

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2000
US
I am looking for a tool that tells me when and who is logged on to my DC.

I keep getting this message that says "there are 2 people logged on to this machine" every time I reboot, and I would like a utility to tell me the second those individuals log on, what they are logged on to, etc...

Is there anything out there that people are using ?

Thanks Everyone!
Chance~

You can use AD users and computers, shared folders, sessions
this will list them for you.......

Thanks...

Is there any other cool tools out there that ctually do a bit more in depth research than that?

Thanks!
Chance~

Thanks for the star.....

You can also enable auditing on your server and check all successful and unsuccessful logins and other neat stuff...

Another cool tool is network monitor .....

Depends on the task at hand. I just use the computer mangement mmc so I can see who is doing what and kick them off if I need to! :)

Steve.

I would like something to prompt me and notify me when someone is locgged onto the system... I wish there were a program that I I could add users I wanted to not to track, but if someone other than that list showed up to prompt me with where they are, what they are doing etc...

Just wasn't sure if there were some kewl tools out there...

Thanks
Chance~

There are many ways of doing this which everyone above has listed good ideas. You may want to consider a firewall that only allows the predefined people in that you set up but that also notifies you of an IP trying to access and asks your permission. Just set up the firewall to log the "intruders" IP addresses.
I mean the ways to accomplish this are pretty broad from intergrated Windows utilities such as the MMC snap ins to firewalls to basically monitoring the sessions under computer management. But i know what you are referring to cause sometimes you cant see anyone logged on under the Sessions area but it still says someone is.
What route were you looking more into taking. Are you wanting to spend some loot or kinda work with what you have.

Well, free is always best, but if I got's ta pay, I got's ta pay!

I just figured there would be like hundreds of tools out there that might do something like that... but I guess not.

Thanks for all the help fellas!

Chance~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back