Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network logged in user name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trillithium

Technical User
Dec 9, 2000
NL
Hi,
Im trying to get the login name from a currently logged in user, and respronse write in on screen. Can anyone help me.
Thanx..

Dim sUser 'As String
sUser = Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")
Response.Write sUser

hope this helps!
smbure

Do they have to be logged into your domain to capture their information, or can they be logged into the network under a different domain??

It will give you the username they used to access the web page. You need to have authentication turned on on the web server, and the directory being accessed needs to be set up so that the IUSR_XXXX account doesn't have access to it (so the browser pops up a logon box).

in the IIS settings you can set a default domain to use for authentication.

Im sorry my question wasn't detailed enough. I whould like to get the User logon name from a user who's logged in on a novel network and is using my ASP file to access my database. I tried the Server Variable Logon_user But that one is only for user who have a NT account. I need de ServerVariable for a Novel user account.

Try AUTH_USER

You will need to have the web server set up for authentication regardless..

Try response.write(request.servervariables("ALL")) to see which server variable holds the name you need... or use this:
Code:
for each key in request.servervariables
  response.write &quot;<b>&quot; & key & &quot;</b>: &quot; & request.servervariables(key) & &quot;<BR>&quot;
next

Sorry for the late posting here. I am having a similar problem with our Intranet.

I capture the logon_user but all I ever get is the IUSER_XXX logon name.

How can I get the actual users's login credentials?

so what is the answer to:

Do they have to be logged into your domain to capture their information, or can they be logged into the network under a different domain??

wow a 3 year thread :)

conehead, as far as i know they have to be within the 'realm' of the PDC, either by means of remote NTLM auth, logged into the LAN and routed thru the PDC, the pdc allows for the translation of users cross domain as long as the pdc is part of or controlling the multiple domains

now if there is no PDC then it's dependant on same domain between peer to peer networked machines

there was a very similar thread to this in regards to resolving netbois or novell user via asp, might want to look into that thread, it's rather recent (06/25/03)

I also want to retrieve the user that logged in. I use the following:

var user=Request.ServerVariables(&quot;LOGON_USER&quot;);
Response.write(&quot;user: &quot;+user);

but I get it blanc, any ideas?? I disabled anonymous authentication and use windows integrated authentication, because I need to restrict access, is this the problem?

thanxs,
alej

logon_user really only works within domain so anyone accessing the pages via internet will come up blank, there's a few threads that have discussed this issue here recently, search forum for logon_user to view a few of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back