Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network just seems to disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.

theripper

MIS
Aug 12, 1999
US
On a small network (10 users) were running Netware 4.11<br>
<br>
Recently we bought new PCs to replace our old ones. Clients running Win95(b&c) and the latest Novell client.<br>
<br>
Everything is fine while users are working/interacting with the network. However, if they remain idle for too long (30 minutes - 1 hr) they lose all network connections, drives and printers.<br>
<br>
I have checked the IPX settings, TCP/IP settings, power-management. Were not running DHCP. Frame type @ Auto.<br>
<br>
Anyone have any suggestions why this may be happening?<br>
<br>
Thanks ~

You say you're running the latest Novell client. Client 32, version 3.1, SP2, or something else? Is your server fully patched (I think SP7a is the latest, but check Novell's site). Any creative screen-savers running on the workstations? Try no screensaver at all. Are they trying to run AOL Instant Messenger or anything similar? If so, remove it. good luck! <p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Fred -<br>
<br>
I disabled all power-management (both BIOS & Win95). Disabled all screen savers. Double checked [no one running AOL IM] - Disabled all special monitor suspend settings. Everything seems to be working fine now.<br>
<br>
Thanks for the reply ~

The symptoms you describe sound like "watchdog" packets but the timing is off. Watchdogs are set in MONITOR/Communications, and usually are set for an hour or so. The first watchdog is set by the timer, then more are sent at specified times, if all get no response the connection is dropped, after which the only way to know on the client is losing drives,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back