Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network issues, no web browsing, behind firewall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OctaneChris

Technical User
Sep 4, 2002
US
Pardon the length - I'm trying to give all the info...[hourglass]

Octane w/6.5.16f IRIX, corporate LAN behind firewall.

In order to utilize this SGI, I had to move this system (it had been idle - shutdown) from another room to my desk, and also get a new IP address from our IT dept. due to a re-assignment of the old address to a printer. Before the move, it had an IP30 board fault and would not run - I replaced it and rebuilt the system with a clean IRIX default load. I've checked all the config files from tape backup when the machine did work and all settings are the same, save the new static IP address (as far as I can tell...).

Now it will not browse the Internet or Intranet in Netscape or through a direct Telnet to our proxy server. The Netscape message is " contacted, waiting for reply..." I've checked the proxy settings and all are OK.

I tried to isolate the problem and "remove" Netscape from the issue by a direct page request through our proxy server such as:
Code:
telnet my.proxyserver.com 80
Trying 143.222.15.196...
Connected to my.proxyserver.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.yahoo.com/[/URL]
(I should get html text - it works on other unix boxes here, but nothing happens on my machine, it just times out...)

I'm located on the same subnet (143.222.240.0) as before. The old address was 143.222.242.15

The new setup is as follows (setup through the GUI):
Code:
Machine name: archimedes
IP: 		143.222.246.97	
Broadcast: 	143.222.247.255
Netmask: 	0xfffff800 (255.255.248.0)
Default Route: 	143.222.240.6
IP Forwarding: 	Disabled
Name Server 1: 	143.222.240.19
Name Server 2: 	143.222.247.19
Name Server 3: 	143.222.15.21

Host Resolution Order: DNS, NIS, Files
NIS and NFS STARTED (or not started, it didn't seem to matter for this issue)

I can ping local machines, myself, and machines on other subnets and within my domain. PING works by name or by numerical address. NSLOOKUP works. I can't do anything outside of our intranet due to the firewall (such as ping etc.) I've tried forcing my interface to all combinations of 10/100 full/half duplex (disabling the autonegotion feature) but no luck. It autoneg.'s to 10Half. The cable is fine and I've even tried the other port at my cube, no luck. My PC does OK on either port (NT4.0sp6a). The network IT group even tried hooking up a laptop (Windows 98) with the same network settings and it did OK, pointing out it must be with my SGI setup.

I am tired of finger-pointing between groups and spinning my wheels. If anyone has ideas, I would be happy to try them... my IT support is nil since this is an "unsupported" system, not conforming to the corporate structure...

A side note - when up, I get semi-frequent (about 8 per day) network connection lost and regained console messages, each lasting for about 3-4 seconds. Not sure what this is from...

Thanks! ::)

Some more info - determined today that I can't ping a packet size past 325 bytes without losing packets. Pinging my localhost is OK up to and past 1500 bytes.

When I then set the MTU of my interface to 325, I can get some web browsing, but most times the pages stall.

I think this may be a hardware (interface) problem, so I'll most likely have to replace the entire IP30 board. The connection pins look ok (not bent, stuck, or corroded), and I can't see any other physical problems.

Before replacing the board, I'm going to try a different switch and port in the network closet if it may be a switch issue.
Genius begins great works,
LABOR ALONE finishes them.
- Joseph Joubert

SOLUTION - Network switch issue!

Problem: Connected to 10 Mbs/Half Duplex.

Diagnosis: Hooked up local 4 port Cisco Router, tried to duplicate failure. No problems. (at 10 Mbs / Half).

Solution: Moved cube port connection from 10 Mbs/Half switch to 100 Mbs/Full card in network cable closet. No issues! ::)
Genius begins great works,
LABOR ALONE finishes them.
- Joseph Joubert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back