Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Integration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnmeg

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2000
US
I currently have 2 seperate Local Area Networks that I need to combine. I had first thought of Vlanning them but that would actually be the reverse of what vlan's were meant for. So using a Cisco Router right now seems like the right choice. Does anyone agree or have any other solutions? And if a router is the correct solution, can you point me in the right direction on how to go about it.
Thank you

hi
do you have linux machine or a Nt machine which can work as router instead of buying a router if you have only two subnets
thanks
regards
senthivelrajan@hotmail.com

I have a router already, thats why I was thinking of configuring that.

If you have the router already then the router is the obvouse choice.

You will need two lan ports in the router, address them as two separate segments and then make sure that each device on each segment has their gateway set as the closest lan adapter address on the router.

If it is a cisco router then definning the local interfaces is just a case of addressing and masking and that is about it unless you want to restrict the movement of traffic!

I would modify this a bit. If you have two SMALL LANs with different subnets, all you need is a hub and ONE ethernet port on the router. You can sub-interface the ethernet port to have one logical port on each subnet. You use the hub to bring both subnets onto the same wire if they are already not on the same wire.

Mike S

Another small remark...

If the networks are small, you can configure a secondary ip address on the ethernet interface:

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip address 11.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 seconadry <---

This will enable routing between the segments...

Be aware that all the traffic between hosts from different subnets will have to go through the router and will work slower...

Think on changing IP addresses to a single, larger range...

Arie

Hey Arie-

I have used this tip ( secondary IP addressing) but I have seen problems with protocols other then IP and using older IOS code ( 11.3 and earlier) With IPX, I have seen the routing not be as reliable as it should be.

Any comments, observations, tips about it? I have pretty much gone with sub-interfaces unless I absolutely have to use secondary IPs.

Mike S

Why not upgrade the IOS version?

Or even better, why won't you make some order in the network, and make everything on the same address space without segmentation and trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back