Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Inaccessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2002
US
I set up the network properly and most of the time it works well. However on occasion the client cannot access the network and I get an error message &quot;<domain name>not accessible. Sometimes when try it again several times it connects. Could this be a DNS problem or a cable problem?

Thanks

Well,... it depends.
Is it happening on the same client?
What do you have to do to make that client working after you receive the error?
What network topology you have? Switches, hubs?
Try to isolate the segment with the problem.
How many Domain Controllers (DCs)?
Where is positioned the DC with Global Catalog?
Have you some errors in the event viewer on the machines ( server and client)?
What OSes are involved?
What about DNS? How is configured? Are the clients using the rigth DNS server? More than one?

as you see, a lot of questions. Not to answer to me, but questions that you have to put yourself too, and understand the pricnciple of troubleshooting this.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

got exactly the same problem on one of our machines. Take a look at the lights on the network card to see if its physically connected. (ours isn't).

I was going to add another network card and see what happens, but threatened with that the machine has been behaving for a few days now.

We have a very similar problem and have already changed network cards and switches.

Did you have any success with this?

Thanks everyone for your help

I'm going to replace the NIC cards and see what happens

Thanks again

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back