Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NETWORK ICON DISSAPPEARED FROM CONTROL PANEL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

werds

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2001
GB
The network icon has dissappeared from the control panel. I cannot therefore configure outlook to the exchange server. How can I restore the network icon. Any help is greatfully appreciated.

Open your control.ini file and look under [don't load] and see if you see one of the following

netcpl.cpl=No
or
ncpa.cpl=No

If you don't see one of these command ensure that the CPL file exists. if so try double clicking on the cpl file to open network properties.

Regards Please provide feedback, good or bad.
And I'm always open to new suggestions or ideas.

Regards

I searched for the file control.ini
and opened it. There was nothing at all in there,including .cpl files.Thanks, but I'm still in the same predicament.

Is the file ncpa.cpl in your system32 directory? If it's missing (or corrupt) you can replace it from the NT CD.
John

The ncpa.cpl in my system32 directory is there with all the network settings, but I still cannot configure outlook because it cannot find the exchange server. Is this problem due to a missing network icon or another problem. Thanks for your help but I need more.

If you can already log on to the network (ie you have a network card installed and can browse to the Server), you dont need the Network icon to configure Outlook for the Exchange server...

To configure Outlook for Exchange Server
Open Outlook and click on Tools->Options. Go to the Mail Delevery Tab, and click on Reconfigure Mail Support, then click on the option for Corporate or Workgroup, you then may have to restart Outlook, if so do, and follow the steps again.....you can work from here....

If you dont have a network card installed, this is the reason that there is no network icon, to get the icon you must install the card, which is obviously needed to access the Exchange Server. Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

I have no options in outlook so I cannot reconfigure the mail support. Any other ideas.

What version of Outlook are you using ??
Do you have a network card installed ???
Can you browse the networks at all ???? Jay~

~KeyTech

I am using outlook 2000, I have 10/100M 3com Fast Ethernet card in the machine. I can access everything on the network, and all programms running from the network are fine. I have tried to install outlook a few times and each time it comes up with the error. Cannot resolve name(Inbox address), can't find the echange server etc.Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

What do you mean that you have no options in Outlook....
Is in not under Tools->Options for you?????
If not, close Outlook and go the Control Panel, double click on the Mail icon, and then you should have the option to Set up for Exchange, the other way is to right click on the Outlook Icon on your desktop, (once its not a shortcut to it, if it is, find the target and right click on that) then go to Properties, and you can then set it up from here by going to Reconfigure Mail support..... Jay~

~KeyTech

To configure Outlook 2000 you can also rightclick on the Outlook icon and select properties. That is providing it is the original icon and not a shortcut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back