Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

doile

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
US
I have an Access program on 1 computer with linked tables on the same computer. It works fine on that computer. The same program is loaded on a second computer on the network with links to the tables on the other computer. When I try to run it from the second computer, it immediately hangs. I am running XP Pro on both computers (Office and Windows). From Task Manager, msg "Not Running". Any ideas on why this happens and suggestions for a remedy?

doile:

It may not actually be hung but is taking a loooong time to respond.

I have encountered this behaviour with Access 2K (on a machine with dual install -- both 2K and 97). If you monitor the CPU cycles on the processes tab you may see that Access is working but the Not Running tag is displayed on the applications tab.

Not a solution, I know.

How are the computers connected? Is the system hosting the back end a server or someone elses computer? The slow response may by due to network traffic, applications running on the host, slow network connections, etc.

Hope this helps a little.

Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

Sometimes it will eventually connect after more than 30 minutes, but each form requires the same wait. Only 2 on the network via a router and cable network. Network monitor shows computer only minimul use (less than 10%) and same with network use. It was not always like this, but has been slowing for a couple of months and then stopped.

Have compacted the data tables, cut data out of them, etc. Nothing seems to work and have no changes in tables and other componets. I have no clue what the solution may be, if any -- Thanks for the response

Larry is right about the mesaage. Access always gives a "not responding" when processing is handled outside of the database. Even if you connect to a SQL Server and execute a stored proc that takes a few mintues to crunch through data, Access is considered "not responding".

If you can connect to the table on the first pc, then you should check exactly how you specified the location of the linked tables. After the connection is established, which may take time, the table must be located on the host machine. If specified incorrectly, you could be spinning wheels for a long time while that machine attempts to resolve the address. Only after the data is located, determined not to exist or the connection times out will Access "respond".

You can always try to use other methods (Windows Explorer, searching for a file in anoter program, etc.) on the 2nd pc to check if you can get from here to there using the location spec you've given to Access.

Turn off antivirus software (at least for Access incoming/outgoing traffic) and/or disable firewall software and see if this makes any difference in speed. Actually, turn off your antivirus software temporarily too and see if that is the culprit.

Let us know if you're doing anything in code on startup that may affect performance (i.e. re-linking tables, opening/closing files, doing DLookups/opening queries, etc)

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

I can access the files via Windows Explorer from both computers. I have disabled Trend Micro antivirus software and nothing changes. I do have queries that run at start-up and have tried to disable these and suspect that they may be the culprits.

I have a "title" form set to open with a macro "autoexec" at start-up. This page has 5 "buttons" to open different forms. When I get the program open, the first time I open each of the forms, a delay again. I disabled the autoexec, but that made no difference. Curiosly, it still opened to that "title" form. I don't know if any of this helps, but I do appreciate the help you have shown me.

doile:

I think you are on the right track.

If you are using macros, they will execute slower, I believe, than VBA code that has been compiled.

If you are running queries as part of the start up process, those will also slow response.

If you can, remove, remark out or disable everything that you have at start up. If responsiveness improves, begin adding the other items back in one at a time and test again.

If your 'title' form is still loading even after disabling the autoexecute macro, it may be specified as the start page in Start Up options. Under Tools/Startup, check if a form has been designated in Display Form.

Its possible that only one of the elements is causing the slow response, although it is more likely a combination of several.

HTH

Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back