Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Folder Sharing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

5ilver5aracen

Programmer
Oct 24, 2004
GB
Hi
I have 5 pc's all with vista on a workgroup network. 4 of the pc's need to share a folder on the 5th pc but one of the 4 cannot have access to some of this folders sub folders. Whats the best way of setting this up? I've tried a few things but can't get it to work. I'm a bit new to network sharing and security. Many thanks in advance.

Thanks for that. That article is good. I have set password protected sharing up on the PC that has the shared files now but when I try to access them from another PC it says that I cannot access this resource. I presumed that it should come up with a log in prompt.

It won't come up with a login prompt - it will use the credentials that the remote user has (username & password). That's why the 'server' needs a user account that is a duplicate of the remote user account.

Another possibility (although I don't think that you'd get the 'cannot access resource' error) is any third-party firewalls that might block the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back