Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network File Share - Disconnects Unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatfish

MIS
Dec 19, 2007
US
Greetings,

I have a problem with my file server. It is running Windows Server 2003 Ent. SP2. The network share randomly disconnects without warning or error in the event log. The only method of reconnecting the drive is restarting the server itself, restarting individual PCs never has reconnected the file share.

I have already adjusted the auto-disconnect in the registry, as there have been suggestions on other discussion boards to that resolving the problem.

I have not been able to repeat the issue in a controlled test, it just randomly disconnects the share and I am left with users who are unable to open, save, or modify their files.

The only 'warning' message I have seen on the server is an event ID 2012. This happens sometimes up to 10 times per day, but the network share doesn't disconnect daily, so I am not sure if it is related or not. I have done everything Microsoft has notated in relation to this error, including switching out the NIC adapters on the server.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Let me know if additional information could assist in formulating ideas.

Thanks,
Nick

Hi,
I've already checked DHCP range. Static server addresses are out of distribution list, but I also increased it as you suggesting.
I've also found out that TCP Chimney can cause the disconnections, so I turned it off by :
netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED

Waiting for results. For now it seems good, but I don't have many people working now because of holidays. I'll post the results as soon as I see it working fine.

Thank you for advise.

Unfortunately the problem still exists. I'm running sniffer to check what is happening on the network.
I was advised to check switches configuration to see if anything is ok, but i'm doubt of that advise. No changes were made intentionally to switches.

I had this happen, the NIC was bad.

Things work until they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back