Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Dummy Needs Help with Server 2000 Urgently!

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptumator

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
US
If anyone could help me out, I would be IMMENSELY grateful!

I'm not a networking expert by any means, know just enough to be fairly dangerous, but I take care of the network for our church and need some help. Our old server finally gave up the ghost and I got another to replace it (refurbished). The server is a Dell PowerEdge 2650 if that matters. I used Dell's Open Manage software to configure everything and have the OS (Server 2000) installed and running. I have gone into Active Directory and set back up the users and passwords we had before the crash. The network consists of about 20 machines on a domain (metrococ), most with XP Pro, a couplee with Win7 and a few with Win2K. My problem right now is I can see the other computers in the network from the server, but I can't authenticate to the domain to get logged into the other computers. They just tell me the domain is either not available or I don't have authority to access it. Since I set the new machine up as a PDC, is there something I need to do to the workstations to get them to recognize the new server? Everything is named the same as before and has the same IP address, etc. I can get signed into the machines without authentication and see the internet, but still can't see the server.

Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, etc.? All are welcome. I think there is probably some little bitty thing I don't know to do that is gumming up the entire works, but I just can find it.

Thanks to anyone who can help - I am getting desperate!

Its a new domain to all the computers, even though you set everyone up with there same credentials, it has created new SID's hence the problem of authentication. You will need to rejoin them all and copy their profiles across on the local machine.

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

Agree with GrimR, take the machines on to a workgroup then back on to the domain, also make sure you are aware of the local admin password on the workstations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back