Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Drives 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffITman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2005
US
Question..

I have one computer out of 15 that locks up for 30-60 seconds when they try to access their shared drives. They are running the same script as all the other users and they are the only one that has problems. It's on WinXP on a Server 2003 Enterprise Network.

Computer is a Core2Duo with 2Gb of ram.

Any thoughts?

Have you checked the LAN settings particularly DNS are the same, possibly delete and reinstall NIC. Does the user get the same thing on other PCs or do other users get the issue on that PC (ie is it a user or computer specific issue)

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

Google search of just tech forums & articles
(very useful, honest!)

Start with checking DNS. Is it set on the workstation to point to your internal DNS? Sounds like when you click a shared drive and the workstation tries to find \\servername\sharename, it's not finding it.

DNS is fine. It's work station specific. Here's the weird thing...

If I go start -> run -> \\servername\share... it's fast as lightning.. It's only when the shares are accessed via My computer.

I've even tried manual mapping a drive and have the same outcome.

The computer has a fresh install of XP Pro and she has been the only user that has used the machine since the install.

So you're saying for example, you map H to \\server\users\home. Going to Start-Run - \\server\users\home it opens right up. Go to My Computer and click H, it hangs even though it is pointing to the same place?

How about Anti-Virus - is it possibly scanning local drives?

What happens if you go to My Computer and click the C drive or any local drive?

Antivirus isn't scanning..

When I try to open My Computer, it takes a minute, but then once open, the C: drive works fine. If I try to open any shares, it's taking between 30-90 seconds to open... if I open from RUN, it's immediate.

It's running off of a login script...

I'll try the link and let you know the outcome.

I believe that link worked...

Thanks a million Pgaliardo.. My business partner will quit complaining all day now!!

Well...

That worked for 1 day... then it went back to the old timing out issue...

Any thoughts?

Bad NIC? Do you have a spare one you can try in that machine. Or at least update the drivers on the current one?

Brand new computer... does everything fine except accessing the drives in My Computer..

Remember that if the drives are accessed via 'run', they work extremely fast... even our programs that access the data server have no problems.. just in My Computer...

Is the behavior the same if someone else logs onto the workstation also? Can you try bypassing the login script and manually add 1 or 2 mapped drives and see if the same thing happens?

I fixed it. Not sure why this worked..

I manually removed all the drives and re-run the login script and it's working like a champ!

Maybe it wasn't releasing the drives and keep trying to recreate? Not really sure.. but it solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back