Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Drive Letter is "hung" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcc

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2005
US
On one of the client machines to a server running Windows Server 2003, the Z:\ drive letter is "hung".

For example, if I log in as an administrator on the local machine, looking at the display of "My Computer", I see "Disconnected Network Drive (Z:) under Name and "Disconnected Network Drive" under Type.

If I double click on this entry I get: Z:\ is not accessible. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. (The Z: drive was originally automatically mapped by the logon script for a user of this server but something must have caused it to somehow get out of wack).

If I rt click on the entry, I see the "disconnect" entry in the list but I get "The Network connection could not be found" when I select that option.

The "share" or the drive letter Z: is neither connected nor disconnected. It is in limbo or never never land (whichever you prefer).

Any suggestions as to how I can "recover" the ability to Map a Network Drive to Z:: ?

From a command line execute:
NET USE Z: /DELETE

Otherwise search the registry (I think it was under LANMANSRV) and you should find the mapping and can delete ti there.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Mark, thank you for your post.

The "net use Z: /delete" doesn't work because the OS does not "see" the mapped "drive". I get back: "The network connection could not be found"-just like from My Computer "disconnect".

net use <no args> gives "There are no entries in the list".

However when I tried "net use Z: <some share>, the response was "name is already in use".
--Like I said, limbo.

Also, I tried to find any entry in the registry that might have related to this but could find none.
The closest I cam was goint to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
\Service\LanmanServer. I saw the folder for shares, but it didn't contain anything that looked significant to me.
I saw folder for "Shares" and under it "Security" but that was all.

As a test I used net use to map a network drive to an available drive letter.
I then was able to notice the sharename in HKCU\Software\
Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Map Network Drive MRU and also in "MountPoints2". But this didn't get me any closer either.

Thanks again for your post.
Regards.

Had this happen to me also once.. I discovered it was because I had hard-coded my network card to 100MB full-duplex and the switch port was set to auto.

Check under this registry entry for the mapped drives.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\NETWORK

There should be an entry for each drive letter mapped. Try deleting the entry from there.

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Joey:

I saw no entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\NETWORK even though I mapped another network drive as a test.

It was an empty folder.

I didn't expect these to be easy.

Check out this thread as it deals with the same issue. There is a link to a User Profile Hive Cleanup Service from Microsoft at the end, that might help with the issue .

thread779-1098730

Joey

IllogicallyLogical: Many Thanks.

Right on!

You hit the nail on the head (does anyone still use that expression?).

I followed the link you provided and downloaded the "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service" from Microsoft (UPHClean-Setup). I needed to reboot afterwards. The system took some time to stabilize and present the Desktop, but when it did, that nettlesome mapped Z:\ drive was nowhere to be found (at last!)

I would also like to credit beastner and choctaw who metioned this hive cleanup program in the post you lead me too. I also thank the others who responded to my question.

It feels really good to get help! Thanks to tek-tips as well!

No problem. That is what we're here for. Glad that worked for you and you got rid of that pesky problem.

Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back