Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashishn

Programmer
Nov 26, 2001
US
Hi,
I wanted to know if there is any document which details the techniques used for network discovery, especially using SNMP.

Thanks,
Ashish

Hi Ashish:

I´m diving in the worl of SNMP, and based in my knowledge, to discover the devices in the network, first you have to walk all your network segments asking for an specific OID.
But you have to do it with an script.

Gustavo
Gustavo Faza
gfaza@usa.net

Hi Gustavo ,
Thanks for replying.You talked of specific OID.
What is that OID.

Thanks,
Ashish

i'm doing the project on network topology discovery as a part of my computer engg. syllabus. if you know how to read MIB tables using JAVA , please help me.
thanks,
sacnam.

hello !
I am also doing a network topology discover ,i am know so little about snmp ,who can tell me where can get some example for this purpose , and java code is best
thanks
xiaotong

hey ppl, y not give some algorithm or some sample programs (i ll b very happy if its in vc++ :) ). i m stuck with the gateways, so reply soon.

chow

For those who aren't fussed about what lang they develop in theres a excellent guide about snmp using JAVA....

take a look at they've got some useful infomation, code, and how to guides there....

You can't forget probably the most respected site for snmp info.

hope it helps
waz

hi,

i finally made the n/w discovery prog'm in vc++, its pretty easy as u only need to poll some specific OID. tellin that wont be fun, but if u r really serious abt this, download getIF, its the best thing u can have.

rohit

Most network discoveries require a combination of ping sweep and SNMP WALK following the capture of live addresses. This can be very tricky since this can inhibit the operation of some lower end routers and you might get more that you bargained for. Consider the following when planning the discover.

- Purpose of discovery
- Address ranges.
- Community Strings
- Device vendors and types to discover
- Discovery time (non intrusive hours)
- Scope of monitoring (if that is the purpose)

A great deal of information on SNMP can be gathered from the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC 1157 at the following URL.

Once knowledgeable of SNMP, a starting point for vendor enterprise Object ID (OID) can be found in the folloing URL.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Efren05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back