Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Discovery Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickdock

Technical User
Apr 22, 2003
GB

Hi all,

I am very new to HP OpenView, and have got to set it up to monitor our WAN of about 40 routers and 20 servers.

I have installed the NNM (60.20) on a dedicated machine. I have also configured all my routers with the appropriate SNMP communities (RO and RW).

My problem is that when HPOV starts its initial discovery of devices it only maps those on the local LAN. It recognises our local Cisco 2600 routers and displays the serial links on the map, but won't discover the remote routers. I have tried manually adding the remote routers, and once I do this, it links the LANs together and continues to discover nodes on the remote networks, but it won't do this automatically.

I beleive (from the HPOV manual) that network discovery relies on the routers ARP table. If I do a 'Configuration>Network Configuration>IP ARP Cache' I eventually get the routers ARP table although the response is takes about a minute. All other SNMP queries appear to work fine and I get a quick response.

Can anyone help. I supppose I could add all the networks manually but I think HPOV should do this.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!!!

Rich.

Check out seeding a file, in your manual, make a list of the key routers, this will add to the detection process.

Seed files will work, but an easier way in NNM 6.X is to use loadhosts. If you're on Unix, you can do "man loadhosts" for all the command line options or in NT,
Help ->NNM -> Topics -> loadhosts.

In my NNM NT deployment, I've just created a .ini file with the devices I want NNM to discover, it looks just like a host file:

111.111.111.111 <tab> fully-qualifide.domain-name.blah

ex:
10.1.1.1 <tab> snoopy.peanuts.com

Then from the NT command line it's: 'loadhosts host.ini'. Depending on your server, you'll see most devices popup on the map in a couple of minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back