Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Discovery Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

en969

MIS
May 6, 2004
US
I have setup SMS 2003. I have never used the product. I am trying to run a network discovery on my local subnets. I am not sure if it is working I didn't get any error messages but I don't see any systems in the all systems collection.

anybody have any ideas

Have you setup the boundaries and the subnets/sites that you want discovered?

Gavin...

Yes I have setup the site boundries, I have enabled the network discovery, I am using the subnet and dhcp taps for the discovery.

when the discory finishes I should see the systems in the different collections right?

please let me know, thank you for responding.

Did you update the collections ? if not right click on the Collection and click update collections membership. Also have you checked the clients to see if they have the agents installed?

I will update the collections, but I have not pushed the agents? I was under the impression that they didn't install automatically

I think you need to take a look at the SMS 2003 CPDG guide, you need to make sure that you have setup your site correctly. Here is the link to the document.

(watch out for the word wrap)

What is your preffered discovery method that you are using? make sure that these are setup correctly and can you hit the MP from the site server?

I ave the guide and have read through most of it. The collections are still updating, but I see information in the reports. perhaps I didn't wait long enough for the information to process.

I am not sure what you mean by MP?

MP is your Management Point, are you able to hit the MP from the workstations?

1 At the client: Run name>/sms_mp/.sms_aut?mplist
Note: This returns a blank screen.

2 At the client: Run name>/sms_mp/.sms_aut?mpcert
Note: This returns a long list of numbers and letters.

If you can hit the MP than you know that there are other problems.

after refreshing the collections the items did finally display.

I had a similar problem. I have just clicked on collections / update. I hope that helps out, everything has an hourglass now. I have a network set up at 10.100.0.0 with a class b subnet. I used this in the beginning for my discovery. I decided this was way to big to search so I limited my discover to 10.100.60.x where our PC's are located at. Now when I go back into discovery/network the 10.100.0.0 has a lock on it and I can not remove it. Do you know what that means and how to remove it?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back