Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Design for VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunz12

MIS
Jan 17, 2007
Hello Guys -

I've been tasked with helping a client implement VOIP at a new location they are building. I have a couple of questions regarding the equipment that needs to be in place for this implementation.

1.) Is it advisable to put IP phones on a different switch and the PC's on a different switch? Or can they be on the same switch with phones on one VLAN and PC's on another VLAN?
2.) Will the QoS be configured on the switch which hosts those multiple VLAN's?

Here is how I am thinking of laying out the equipment.

1.) Use a 24 port POE switch. Create two VLAN's on it, one for voice and one for data.
2.) Configure DHCP on Fast Ethernet 0/0 & 0/1 interfaces on a Cisco 1841 router for assigning addresses to phones and PC's. Interface FE 0/0 will be on data VLAN and interface FE 0/1 will be on voice VLAN.
3.) configure a trunk port on the switch to pass traffic from both VLAN's

Do you guys think this will work? I would appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Although I don't look after the network side, I can confirm that we do indeed have the pc's and phone on the same cable, let alone the same switch. It has been absouloutly rock solid, most people saying quality sounds beteer.

What we have done is set our systems so that local calls (same system) use the G711 codec, but when doing system to system, we drop to G729, for the simple reason that WAN links tend to have less bandwidth.

On about PoE, be careful of the load, I've seen many Cisco's that can't support a fully loaded switch, i.e lots of calls, they tend to work on the principle of 50% in use. This was a couple of years ago mind, but I've a feeling little has changed. If you are looking a high usage, look at a standard switch and adding something like PowerDsine PoE in line systems.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I definitely put them on separate VLANS.
even if they're plugged into the dame port, you can use dynamic VLANS.
It makes configuring QoS much simpler.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

qos won't be setup on your switchports (you can still give priority to specific traffic on a aswitch) it should be setup on your routed interfaces (this is where you need it most on WAN links) . If you have cisco gear auto qos works nicely, look into setting all your voip devices to tag packets with dscp priority or diffserv.

CCNA MCSE MCP NET+ A+ Security+

No SQL training here. I wonder just what kinds of issues will arise. Thanks again!

Shari W.

Wrong thread, sorry everyone. Ignore my SQL post.

Shari W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back