Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Cord Theft 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwts

Technical User
Feb 23, 2005
US
We have a problem with users taking network cords from conference room. Does anyone know of a wallplate solution that would prevent network/phone cords from being removed without the use of tools. We currently have 4 port setups using superior products (UMJ modules and SSFP). Thanks.

Superglue?

< M!ke >
[small]Don't believe everything you think.[/small]

Maybe something like LANLOC?

There is a "click here for instructions" link that describes how it works. It looks like you break off the locking tab on your standard RJ-45 plug and instead use one of these. You can't remove the cord without cutting away the LANLOC locking mechanism.

I've never used these, but they're less than a buck apiece and don't require changing out wallplates.

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

Instead of the LAN -Lock, simply cut the locking tab where it goes from its narrowest to widest, not all the way at the back like the LAN-Lock instructions show. You will need a "Spudger" to get it back out.

I like the Lanloc idea. I placed an order for them...I'll let you know how that work. Thanks. I tried just cutting the tab and people still managed to remove them with a pen or paper clip.

You need some video surveillance! If they are that determined, they will probably just break off the Lanloc tab.

Not sure if you can do this with the gear you have, but I've done this in the past. If you can, rewire the jacks in the conference room so the lines into it are reversed. This means a normal Ethernet cable won't work. You'll need to get a "patch cable". A patch cable will work with a reversed jack and any PC or laptop because it's wired differently. BUT, if they steal the patch cable, it won't work anywhere besides that conference room.

You could also try buying cables that are some obnoxious bright neon color. That way you can spot them easily as you walk around the office.

This is probably an indication that people are unhappy with their current network cable situation.

I assume these are notebook users doing this? If so, every time you issue a new notebook, give them a 20' network cable and tell them it's part of their issued kit, and must be turned in when they leave the firm.

In the meantime, try cable-tying them to the tableleg.

Chip H.

stop using pretty colored cables in the conference room and people will stop coveting them.....

or, on a more serious note, tweek your lan so you use cross over cables in the conference room and then they wont work in other wall ports, thus exposing the peasants that have theived them.

The LANLOCs work great. I also got some for RJ11 and RJ14.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back