Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network continually goes down, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashc123

Technical User
Oct 3, 2001
US
I have 11 computers and one network printer that I have connected with a router and workgroup hub (both Lynksis). I am just using the windows 2000 networking without a domain ( i believe this is peer to peer). Everything is set at auto detect except one computer and the printer, this is so that the printer knows which computer to run off of. It continually goes down and I have no clue as to why. Usually rebooting the dsl modem, router, and hub works but this is getting pretty frustrating. Does anyone have a resourses that can walk me through the whole process so I would have an understanding of just what the heck is going on? So I can at least ask intelligent questions.

Thanks in advance!

Sonya

Hate to tell you this but Win2K Pro will only support 10 PCs, and you're over the limit. M$ wants you to invest in 2K server now!

Try a search of the M$ knowledge base and confirm this. I'm not sure what behavior to expect from exceeding this limit, but your description would match my expectations.

Good luck...

i was taught that a good limit on peer to peer networks is eight, now if that was just opinion or fact i dont know, it was from novell netware 5, so say what you want, but ive found it to be a pretty reliable number, from experience, so a small server would be a good idea in my opinion, it would sort out a lot of your problems

Okay If I shouldn't have 11 computers set up with a peer to peer network. What should I do? And How?

Well if you can get your hands on a copy of WIN 2k Server then Id suggest using that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back