Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

meloadri

Technical User
Apr 7, 2009
US
I have a user with a laptop who is not part of the domain. when he comes in the morning he does mappings to get his work done. I have 2 DC to which he connects fine. however i have a stand alone server he can't connect. He gets access denied error. He can connect with administrator. Since its a stand alone server I have no admin tools. Can someone give me an idea as to how to connect him?

Are the mappings set to automatically connect at login or does the user do them manually?

Are all of your server on the same ip subnet?

May---the networking part is not the problem, since the user gets the message, then they are obviously reaching the server.

Meloadri---you may want to post this in the Virus forum, as Windows is a virus.

Okay, fine---post in the w1nd0z3 forum. lol

Have you tried looking at the Remote tab under the My Computer properties?

/

There is no loging script so the mappings were done manually but he selected to reconnect at logon. The servers are on the same subnet.

When he is mapping, is he mapping as a user on the standalone server or as the same username that he is mapped as on the domain?

Try opening a command prompt and typing:
net use * \\servername /user:username

and see if you can map manually. My guess is that unless you are using the Administrator account the GUI mapping is trying to append the domain to the account, which the standalone server is rejecting.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back