Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network connection could not be established - Troubleshooting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrStig

Technical User
Jun 5, 2007
DK
I am running the Legato Networker 7.2 backup software in an environment where some of the clients are connected directly on the same LAN as the backupserver and other clients sits on another LAN and can only reach/be reached by the backupserver via a route through a host acting as a gateway.

The clients on the same LAN can be backed up without any problems.

But I am in the need of troubleshooting hints for my clients on the 'other' LAN.

I HAVE CREATED THE FOLLOWING SETUP:

On the backupserver I have created a route from the backupserver to the other LAN via the gateway host.
The backupserver can successfully ping the clients on the other LAN (both by IP and hostname).

On the backupserver I have edited the file: /etc/hosts hostnames and IP addresses of all the clients.

On the clients I have created a route to the backupserver via the gateway host and also here I can successfully ping the backupserver from all clients (both by IP and hostname).

On the clients I have edited the hosts file with the hostname and IP-address of the backupserver.

On all the clients I have edited the file: /nsr/res/servers with the hostname and IP-address of the backupserver.

BUT NOW MY PROBLEM:
When I start backing up one of the clients the task terminates unsuccessful with the error message in the log file: /nsr/log/daemon.log saying:

*<MyClientName>:All Network connection could not be established with client '<MyClientName>'
and
savegrp: command 'savefs -s backupserver - c <MyClientName> -g <MyCleintGrpName> -p -l full -R -v ' for client <MyClientName> exited with return code 1.

Any ideas on what I am missing in my setup or suggestions on how I can troubleshoot further are most welcome.

Thanks / kind regards
MrStig

Hi,

Is there a firewall in between the hosts? You can also try the command rpcinfo to see that the NetWorker clients and server can communicate. From the bck server:

rpcinfo -p clientname

You can also run the same command from the clients and see that the backupserver responds. To see how it should work you can always try on the clients on the same LAN to start with.

savegrp is a server site program.

First make sure that a backup from the client (save) runs successfully as it is mandatory for a successful automatic backup. Don't proceed without this step.

Thanks Rifr123,
I just tried rpcinfo from bck server to both the client that worked and the one that didn't work (and vice versa) - but the results seemed very semilar and looked like communication between hosts was possible.

Thanks 605,
An interesting suggestion, but can you please tell me how I can make a client backup / client (save)?
I am only familiar with doing the backups via the nwadmin GUI on the backupserver.

Are there some commands I can enter in the system shell of the client machine.

Thanks
MrStig

I just succeded in executing a manual backup on one of the clients. I simple typed 'save' in a system shell.

It worked fine. I monitored the process from nwadmin GUI on the backupserver and in the /nsr/logs/daemon.log.

Seems to me that communication from client to server workes fine and that it is the communication from the backupserver to the client(s) that need further troubleshooting.

Thanks to 605 for a useful suggestion.
MrStig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back