Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Connection constantly fails since Windows 7 Install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slycer

Technical User
Nov 22, 2002
US
Ok so I just installed Windows 7 on my Dell 540 Studio desktop. Ever since then every time I boot my computer I loss network connectivity although the actual NIC card is working properly and the only can get it to work is to reinstall the NIC drivers. I already updated the BIOS and downloaded the NIC drivers for Windows 7 but neither did anything. Has anyone else had this problem?

Are you running 32 or 64 bit 7? Are you sure you downloaded the correct version of the drivers (if different between 32 bit and 64 bit?

Another common thing on laptops is be sure the adapter isn't disabled or turned off via a switch on the laptop. Some of them are placed in places where it's easy to do on accident. For instance, our Toshiba U205 is on the side, but it's easy to slip it by your leg or hand and accidentally switch it on or off.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Well to be honest I didnt check to see if I got the 32 or 64 bit drivers. Ill go back and look again. But my problem is with a desktop, not a laptop.

Desktop/laptop wouldn't really matter. Sorry for the wrong word, there... I just skimmed the post. [blush]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I had this happen too, right after MS update downloaded the latest drivers, rolled back the driver and no more issues.
Something to look at if you have automatic updates engaged.
With a new OS and 64 bit drivers, I guess some are better than others.
BTW, you should not be able to install 32 bit drivers on a 64 bit OS, at least I have not been able to make that work.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

What is the brand and model of any Network Card involved? Is the Network Card itself faulty?

If you boot into "Safe Mode with Networking" do you have the same problem?

Was this a clean install or an upgrade from Vista?

When the error occurs are there any problems indicated in the Device Manager concerning your Network Card?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, start by ticking both boxes, in any further rerun.

See how many unsigned drivers you have running on your machine. This article will guide you on the instructions but all you have to do is type sigverif in Start Run.

How to identify unsigned drivers using sigverif utility in Windows Vista

Create another user and see if they have the same problem as your current user.

Go to START >> Control Panel >> Device Manager >> Network Adapters

double click the NIC, then navigate to the Power Management Tab...

remove the check mark from "Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save Power"...

also check your power management settings, e.g. set them to Performance rather than Balanced...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I just did the Automatic Update and that did the trick.

Don't forget to check and see if you have "Bonjour Services" installed.

It's still a problem just as it was with RC.
I had problems with it on my new computer.

I had to remove it to get my connection to keep working.

It usually gets installed along with Adobe or Itunes software.

Mike

I just had this problem with Vista but for a bit of a different reason... I was in the BIOS for something or other and the evil overclocking tab tempted me - so I just tweaked it up a little bit just for fun.

So the computer boots and neither one of the lan connections would come up - everything else was fine and nice & fast, but I couldn't get the lan to save my life. The cards all read fine, but the system absolutely refused to communicate.

So I went back and reverted everything - figured I'd learned that lesson. Well surprise, surprise - it still don't work. It's not my network because the server is tooling happily along as is my wireless, etc - I was just wild, and figuring I'd just go buy a new LAN card.

So just for fun I pulled out my USB network dongle. Then I had to take my laptop and go download the vista drivers and move them over to my desktop with a thumb drive. I installed the drivers and set up the wireless. My wireless network popped up and I told it to connect. As soon as I was on the internet it was like both of the wired LAN ports got jealous because they could no longer keep me from going online and *poof* up they came. I shut off the wireless adapter and haven't had a problem since... No clue why it did what it did...

I am having the same problem with network connectivity.

This has just started in the past couple of days.

I have a new PC with a clean install of Win7 Pro (64 bit). It is activated.

For the past month everything has worked fine. Now all of a sudden my network connection will drop after about 10-15 minutes of surfing.

It is a desk top running a hardwired connection on a network that has other PC's that are working fine. The problem is just this PC.

I have done all that has been suggested here:

Turned OFF power control on NIC card
Turned Off Bonjour
Did a restore to a point four day previous to the problem.
I have run a full scan with my anti-virus and Malware software and they both say the system is clean.

If I go to the command prompt, I can release and renew the IP address. I have the OPEN DNS hard coded into the PC.
I can ping from the command prompt.

I don't think the problem is with the NIC card, I think it has to do with some software running in the background as both Firefox and IT quit at the same time. They say they can't connect to the internet.

Anyone else have these type of issues?

THANKS!

Is there any Bios update available for your machine? Are there any options for Power Saving mentioned in the Bios?

Can you break the 15 minute barrier if you load "Safe Mode with Networking", or try Normal Mode but under a different login name?

Have you got a Router between you and the other connecting computers? Have you tried swapping the connections around in the back of any Router? Have you tried another Ethernet Cable too?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

All my networking hardware is good. I have tried all of that. I did discover that everything works fine in "Safe mode with networking" It does not time out in safe mode.

I have am going back step by stop now and uninstalling several programs that I recently installed to see if anyone of those may have caused the issue.

My bios is up to date.

I did notice that a Critical Windows update was installed a couple days ago automatically. Not sure what that update is, but I may remove it and see what happens.

Thanks for the input.

If things are fine in "Safe Mode with Networking" then this would be the next thing to look at.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

See how many unsigned drivers you have running on your machine. This article will guide you on the instructions but all you have to do is type sigverif in Start Run.

How to identify unsigned drivers using sigverif utility in Windows Vista (or Windows 7)

I think I may have found the fix...

Go to the Properties section of the Local Area Conneciton.

There is list of all the items used for the connection.

Turn OFF Internet Protocol Verision 6 (TCP/IPv6)

That seems to have fixed the problem for me. I have not lost my connection since.

Not sure why this became an issue this week as I have had this particular machine in service for several months.

Hope this help anyone else out there having this issue.

One other thing you should be able to disable is QoS Service, unless you are using VoIP (phone service via your internet carrier), your really do not need this service.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

It can, but does not necessarily have too... Some people claim that it does improve things, while others do not see an improvement...

The following article explains it:

Windows XP Quality of Service (QoS) enhancements and behavior

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back