Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

youtan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 7, 2003
US
I can't ping the gateway. I've configured the following files...

/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/defaultrouter
/etc/netmasks

In fact, I have two machines. One is able to ping the gateway, one is not. I've even tried copying these files from one system to the other. No go...

Ideas?

Sorry to ask the obvious question, but it happened to me once when I couldn't ping the gateway: are you sure the network cable is connected? (Boy, was I embarassed.)

Also, is the network card OK? Is the cable connected to a hot network connection?

Have you tried using sys-uncofig rather than editing all the files manually?

Yes, my network cable is connected to a hub. The lights flicker on the hub when I attempt a ping, so I'm assuming the ethernet card is functional.

I ran sys-unconfig... still no connection to the outside world. (I added the /etc/defaultrouter file)

Any more ideas?

Try pinging your own IP address, and also the loopback address (127.0.0.1) and post results.

When I ping my own IP address - IP is active. Loopback - IP is active. Local systems - active.

When I ping the GW, I don't get a message return - instead just an infinite wait....

Off topic question: What good ever comes from pinging a local loopback address or a local interface address ? The packet isn't going to go up and back down the same wire... So whats the point ? All you are proving is that the interface is up. Right ?

results of netstat -r -n

In general they are both identical except for different IP addresses and the numbers listed under Use. I included both numbers as not working/working.

destination gateway flags Ref Use Interface
same IP U 3 45/37 hme0
same IP U 3 0/0 hme0
same GW UG 0 117/144
same LB UH 0 26962/8403 lo0

I had a similar problem once, you might check these. Is the IP address valid for the subnet your on? Also, check that there is not a duplicate IP address in you NIS maps.

I've already checked with my DNS server (I'm at a large university) - my IP's are valid on both machines. I could try a differenct IP address, just to double check... I'm not using NIS.

traceroute -n ###.###.##.240

on working machine:

traceroute to ###.###.##.240, 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 * * *
2 ###.###.##.254 0.583 ms * *

on non-working machine:

traceroute to ###.###.##.240, 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 ###.###.##.253 0.645 ms !X * 0.486 ms !X

I'm connected! Thanks to all for the help!

As usual - a stupid mistake.... When I ran the sys-unconfig to change the IP and hostname, on bootup there were errors associated with the hostname/IP match. Then I remembered that I'd copied the /etc/hosts file from one machine to the other - by replacing it completely (and then modifying the IP, hostname, etc..). However, by doing so I'd made a mismatch of the /etc/inet/hosts file with the /etc/hosts file. I copied it again into /etc/inet and now I can ping the gateway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back